Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    +1

I have an XL. I got it once used at the SoCal Eggfest. It's been great for long cooks like brisket, pork butts, etc. However, like Kyle noted, it takes a LOT of fuel and time to get it up to temp.

I don't regret getting it, but if you're looking for one to use weekly (or even more often), I would have to recommend getting a Large. In fact, I'm considering getting a Large myself because the XL is really best for large groups of people, cooking multiple batches, or long cooks.

I would look for Eggfests in Colorado. Most will sell once used BGEs at a great discount. All you usually have to do is prepay, and pick up at the end of the Eggfest.
    The eggfest comment was great advice. I see they offer a discount.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Only problem with Eggfest is timing. Apparently there is one in August in Colorado, question is do I want to wait that long.
    Jason

I absolutely love mine. I use it for everything from cooking Pizza to smoking ribs and brisket (and there's nothing like being able to do some steaks at 700 degrees).

i have a large and a mini .. and for the price of an xl you can get a large and a small [or mini] unless you are cooking for large groups often, the large is a better choice than the xl imho. buying at an egg fest is the best deal . i am off to the sunshine fest but please feel free to email me .. my oven only gets used for lasagna and cookies both of which can be done on the egg. traditional bbq at low temps with no need to reload.. to pizza at almost 1000 degrees and everything in between .. juiciest chicken you will ever eat ,, and once you get the hang of it you can make a choice costco ribeye to rival mortons or seafire. real late for bed and leaving town at 0400 thursday be happy to answer any questions when i get back do check out http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...217983#1217983

I have a large and an XL. Had the large for four years before buying the XL. I love them both, but use the XL a lot more than the large. You must cut up three slabs of baby backs and use a rack to get them on the L. Three racks will lie flat on the XL without a problem. You really can't go wrong with either though.

my brother has a BGE, not sure if it is the large or the XL, but the thing would probably get up to forging heat but for the gasket melting above say 1000F.

This guy has a large selection and good service. Not sure about shipping but worth a look.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/CERA...TORE_s/270.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This guy has a large selection and good service. Not sure about shipping but worth a look.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/CERA...TORE_s/270.htm
    Fred's is great, but I know for a fact he won't sell over the internet. BGE will not honor their warranty for internet sellers. That said, they are very good at keeping the pricing consistent between dealers, so you're unlikely to find any incredible deals save for a yearly sale or going out of business clearance. Your best bet for a good deal on a BGE is an Eggfest as mentioned before, especially because they come with a full warranty as if you bought it new.

I want a mini for quick dinners for just the two of us.
    I used to want a mini for quick dinners, but I think I've decided on a Small for a 2nd Egg. It's just as easy to use but much more versatile and because apparently it's the best Egg to have for pizzas because it's small size and more traditional kamado shape (compared to the mini) makes it a little blast furnace.

I'm a Treager guy myself (have two), but I have thought about getting a little egg to play with.

I've been looking at the BGE for a while.. I don't know what I am waiting for... this post might have pushed me over the fence!