Big Green Egg

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure if you plan a trip to Denver and look in some mid-easter, Indian market you can find one for a couple hundred bucks. It will probably be bigger and you won't break the bank. (it has been about 10 years since I have been to Denver so not sure if there is one there.) More likely Buolder.

My BGE is my pride and joy. I like to say that I'd give up the roof over my head and push my BGE around in a shopping cart before I gave it up. Get it, you won't regret it.

For $1229 does it include the nest (rolling cart) or any other accessories? I don't think that's a good deal for just the XL Egg by itself, but I haven't priced out an XL in a while.

Also, how many people do you think you'll cook for? I get along just fine with my Large Egg. The XL is very spacious, but it's also consumes more fuel and is more difficult to heat up to high temps for steaks and pizza. It also makes it difficult to justify firiing it up on a weeknight for steaks for just you and one other person. I typically advocate getting the biggest cooker you can afford, but if you don't have a big family I'd consider going with the Large.

As for Primo vs BGE, it doesn't really matter. They're both well built and perform the same, just go ahead and pick whatever you can get a better deal on or with the one that fits your backyard decor better. :doublethumbsup:

My BGE is my pride and joy. I like to say that I'd give up the roof over my head and push my BGE around in a shopping cart before I gave it up. Get it, you won't regret it.

For $1229 does it include the nest (rolling cart) or any other accessories? I don't think that's a good deal for just the XL Egg by itself, but I haven't priced out an XL in a while.

Also, how many people do you think you'll cook for? I get along just fine with my Large Egg. The XL is very spacious, but it's also consumes more fuel and is more difficult to heat up to high temps for steaks and pizza. It also makes it difficult to justify firiing it up on a weeknight for steaks for just you and one other person. I typically advocate getting the biggest cooker you can afford, but if you don't have a big family I'd consider going with the Large.

+1

I have an XL. I got it once used at the SoCal Eggfest. It's been great for long cooks like brisket, pork butts, etc. However, like Kyle noted, it takes a LOT of fuel and time to get it up to temp.

I don't regret getting it, but if you're looking for one to use weekly (or even more often), I would have to recommend getting a Large. In fact, I'm considering getting a Large myself because the XL is really best for large groups of people, cooking multiple batches, or long cooks.

I would look for Eggfests in Colorado. Most will sell once used BGEs at a great discount. All you usually have to do is prepay, and pick up at the end of the Eggfest.

I have a large BGE and have had it for about 8 years now. Best investment in a grill/smoker/oven I could have imagined. As said before, the XL is really big. I routinely cook for 4-6 and have never needed more than the large. There are also some pretty nice aftermarket accessories that add the ability to have multiple grill racks at different heights. I use mine year round and the ceramic is great for use in cold or hot weather. I have done ~20lbs of pork butt on it at a time with no trouble. I cannot recommend one enough if you enjoy cooking outside.

I see what you mean, it does have quite a large bottom indicating a lot of charcoal needed. When I get the money, I will probably go the large route. I love cooking outside, and this has been on my short list for a long time. Other things keep popping up, go figure.

I want a mini for quick dinners for just the two of us.

Anyone want to sell their BGE :-D

I've always wanted one but it'll be a while before I could convince my wife... Especially since I already have a great SS Weber

+1

I have an XL. I got it once used at the SoCal Eggfest. It's been great for long cooks like brisket, pork butts, etc. However, like Kyle noted, it takes a LOT of fuel and time to get it up to temp.

I don't regret getting it, but if you're looking for one to use weekly (or even more often), I would have to recommend getting a Large. In fact, I'm considering getting a Large myself because the XL is really best for large groups of people, cooking multiple batches, or long cooks.

I would look for Eggfests in Colorado. Most will sell once used BGEs at a great discount. All you usually have to do is prepay, and pick up at the end of the Eggfest.

The eggfest comment was great advice. I see they offer a discount.

I absolutely love mine. I use it for everything from cooking Pizza to smoking ribs and brisket (and there's nothing like being able to do some steaks at 700 degrees). :doublethumbsup:

i have a large and a mini .. and for the price of an xl you can get a large and a small [or mini] unless you are cooking for large groups often, the large is a better choice than the xl imho. buying at an egg fest is the best deal . i am off to the sunshine fest but please feel free to email me .. my oven only gets used for lasagna and cookies both of which can be done on the egg. traditional bbq at low temps with no need to reload.. to pizza at almost 1000 degrees and everything in between .. juiciest chicken you will ever eat ,, and once you get the hang of it you can make a choice costco ribeye to rival mortons or seafire. real late for bed and leaving town at 0400 thursday be happy to answer any questions when i get back do check out http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=showcat&catid=1&id=1217983#1217983

I have a large and an XL. Had the large for four years before buying the XL. I love them both, but use the XL a lot more than the large. You must cut up three slabs of baby backs and use a rack to get them on the L. Three racks will lie flat on the XL without a problem. You really can't go wrong with either though.

my brother has a BGE, not sure if it is the large or the XL, but the thing would probably get up to forging heat but for the gasket melting above say 1000F. :doublethumbsup:

This guy has a large selection and good service. Not sure about shipping but worth a look.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/CERAMIC_GRILL_SUPERSTORE_s/270.htm

Fred's is great, but I know for a fact he won't sell over the internet. BGE will not honor their warranty for internet sellers. That said, they are very good at keeping the pricing consistent between dealers, so you're unlikely to find any incredible deals save for a yearly sale or going out of business clearance. Your best bet for a good deal on a BGE is an Eggfest as mentioned before, especially because they come with a full warranty as if you bought it new.

I want a mini for quick dinners for just the two of us.

I used to want a mini for quick dinners, but I think I've decided on a Small for a 2nd Egg. It's just as easy to use but much more versatile and because apparently it's the best Egg to have for pizzas because it's small size and more traditional kamado shape (compared to the mini) makes it a little blast furnace.

I'm a Treager guy myself (have two), but I have thought about getting a little egg to play with.

I've been looking at the BGE for a while.. I don't know what I am waiting for... this post might have pushed me over the fence! :pirate1:

I used to want a mini for quick dinners, but I think I've decided on a Small for a 2nd Egg. It's just as easy to
use but much more versatile and because apparently it's the best Egg to have for pizzas because it's small size and more traditional kamado shape (compared to the mini) makes it a little blast furnace.

A small? Really? I'm surprised that its the best for pizza because the grid is only 13 inches in diameter. Most pizza stones are at least 15 inches in diameter.

I got one after a couple years of wanting it, and it is awesome. I found mine on craiglist for about half price. The used sales are few and far between however. It is alot of money to put down, but cant you get by with ten knives instead of 15?

For those in Canada they have them at costco now, around $899? Would totally get one if I didn't live in an apartment...

The BGE may be the single best cooking tool I ever bought. Love it. Hard to imagine life with out one. There are other ceramic cookers as well like the Primos or Grill Dome. I've had my BGE for several years and it's never let me down even in the dead of Winter. If you do hi-temp cooking they offer a hi-temp gasket now. Works like a charm.

Dave

I spoke with my wife last nigth about getting a BGE... lets just say it did not turn out positively for a BGE in my household at this time. I'm going to have to keept an eye out on Craigslist...

My large wok works well on the large egg. It heats it perfectly. It will get a certain amount of attention amongst grillers when you pull out a wok......

I am a huge ceramic cooking fan and have one Primo Oval and one Small BGE ... take a look at the Oval vs the Large or XL BGE. It allows you to do indirect grilling plus way more capacity if you are doing a bunch or ribs, butts or briskets.

I use the SM BGE 80% of the time when I am just grilling for my wife and I ... but when friends are over, want to spatchcock a chicken or cook 80lbs of butt I go to the Primo Oval.

Either way this purchase will change your world!

Good Luck

Back