Quantcast
ugliest. knife. ever. - Page 12
Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: ugliest. knife. ever.

France comes out with some very unique designs and profiles.

I can't imagine a pinch grip working very well with that knife.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    I can't imagine a pinch grip working very well with that knife.
    You just have to choke up a mite.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    ^^^
    Those Ken Onions knives are so friggin' stupid-looking. They seem like they were all engineered by people who have never cut anything in a kitchen. Knives for Microwavers to put out on display
    I've got one of these in 9" along with a couple of other Ken Onions.

They are extremely comfortable in my hand and for me, a pleasure to use.

Have any of you blokes who rubbish these ever used them?

I had some. Sold them as a lot. One, an 8" slicer, was so incredibly silly in its design that it was nearly unusable. Never did figure out how to use it.

Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

I believe he was talking about how it looks, not how it uses. It looks like a knife designed to appeal to someone who has no appreciation for the job of a knife. It's like making a commuter car that is shaped like a chimpanzee.

Quote Originally Posted by Digs View Post
    They are extremely comfortable in my hand and for me, a pleasure to use.
    Will propably stay this way until they get dull

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    I had some. Sold them as a lot. One, an 8" slicer, was so incredibly silly in its design that it was nearly unusable. Never did figure out how to use it.
    I would never blame a design or product of any kind because I purchased it for it's looks which seems to be the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I believe he was talking about how it looks, not how it uses. It looks like a knife designed to appeal to someone who has no appreciation for the job of a knife. It's like making a commuter car that is shaped like a chimpanzee.
    Yes you're right, it is about looks. Why anyone would spend reasonable money purchasing on looks is beyond me. To judge something by its looks whether good or bad is ridiculous and generally ill-informed.

Haven't you heard the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Will propably stay this way until they get dull
    You may enjoy using dull knives mate, I prefer to keep mine sharp.

I can't understand how people can be negative when they have no experience &/or don't have enough smarts to figure out how to use something.

Like I said I enjoy using Shuns especially the Ken Onions. The bread knife has been dropped onto concrete without incident a couple of times yet one of the forums favourite makers knives chips cutting a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    So I got my 205mm Carter funayuki this week. At first the light weight (119g) threw me off, but I must admit that the light weight has grown on me a bit since then. I also like the short size. Since having a newborn in the house and doing the stay-at-home Dad thing, I find myself reaching for smaller knives these days. I'm not sure why, but it happens.

The knife was blistering sharp out of the box and could easily slice a dropped piece of thin advertisement paper in its descent. (Note: I did not take my clothes off to do this as Salty did.)

The contrast between the laminate/cladding and core steel is cool. The toothy patina edge looks similar to my hiro but a bit better.

So back to the chip.

I am making some stock for a carrot and mint risotto, and to make the stock I am chopping up a leek. So I slice the end of the dark stuff off and hit stone. Chip.

It isn't a bad chip, but a chip nonetheless. The worst thing was that it kept grabbing the cloth when I wiped the blade down. So after only a handful of hours of use, I chipped my Father's day gift. Oh well.

Strange thing is that it didn't bother me in the least bit. I guess I am just going to have to use the chip as an excuse to buy another knife

k.

Hey Digs, don't take this stuff personally. I know people who like the Ken Onion feel too (though I don't care for it). And a lot more people (family, friends etc.) think I am crazy for liking wa handles.

And don't bring my chipped carter into this

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

First off, Digs, Welcome to KKF! Funny to me how much Aussie and Northern European interest there is in kitchen knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Digs View Post
    Yes you're right, it is about looks. Why anyone would spend reasonable money purchasing on looks is beyond me. To judge something by its looks whether good or bad is ridiculous and generally ill-informed.

Haven't you heard the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover?
    I believe you are slaving under the assumption that this thread is a list of knife purchasing tips. Going with your analogy, we are like librarians discussing funny-looking book covers, not books.
    I mean, come on, there's a Haslinger in this thread.