Quantcast
Zombie Buschef Knife - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Buschef Knife

I honestly dont think there was ant high carbon steel in this. I think That its a matter of them saying what they think you want to hear in there sales pitch. Knowing 1095 or 1080 are the higher carbon steel. Selling us lies is what there doing. Its a shame that it didnt harden. But I honestly didnt think it was going to.

I had heard that Damascus made in &&^^&&^& is made from cheap even sub par materials, like tin cans. and that will not harden. Its a BUYER BEWARE kinda thing, and even some of the makers or vendors here in the USA are using these materials or selling the knives saying because the handle was installed here that its made in the USA. Again devaluing the market and the makers who are working there butts of to make the best damascus they can with quality materials and processing.

I really dont want to make this a SLAM fest.. But will say it again, BUYER BEWARE! everything that is being offered as high carbon 1095/15n20 damascus is not!!

Im going to take it to my friend this week, and have him test it for hardeness on his machines. He has the ability to test in a few harness ranges. RC being only one..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

If they did have some 1095 in it, they probably cooked all of the carbon out in the mfg process.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thats being very optimistic Spike. I dont think they used any high carbon steel in this. Its probably some mild steel. Heck it may be tin cans and aluminum foil for all I know. One thing for sure it's CRAP and will not harden.

There are lessons to be learned here.
    My main reason for taking on this project was to find out for myself if the steel would or could make a serviceable knife blade.
    Next I thought that it may help to educate anyone who has looked at or considering Pakistan damascus. my advise to you is, RUN!!

I think I have to find a way this steel can be used in its present condition. And make something usable or useful from it for Crothcipt.

Thanks guys for checking this out, and Buyer BEWARE.. there are alot of crooks and Liers in the world.. In this case they happen to be from Pakistan. Buy be assured that they are everywhere. At least you didnt loose hundreds or even thousands of dollars on this deal.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Cut it up into cufflinks/keychains/spoons/etc?

Split the blade and insert some real steel? Maybe it's the 1095 batch where they lowered the Mn content and it can't harden?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Cut it up into cufflinks/keychains/spoons/etc?
    Spoons, yes spoons!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

LOL, I dont know what I will do, or IF I will make anything from it. At this point Im just not sure. Thanks for the suggestions!!

I have to fight the urge to bend it in half and throw it.. lol

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

A boomerang then?

I've always wanted a damascus carving fork, and I can't think of a good reason why I would care about hardness in one of those.

BOOMERANG!!!!

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Draw it out and make dammy clothes hangers.

You can use burl wood bits at strategic points if you want. I'm sure someone will pay more than $30 for dammy clothes hangers no?

+ Reply to Thread