Quantcast
Zombie Buschef Knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zombie Buschef Knife

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.

Zombie Buschef Knife

Last summer I got the damascus bug and wanted to buy a chef's knife made with it. I found one that seemed cheap

and was thinking it would go quite high. I bought it for 20$. I got it home and was excited about the

metal of the blade not to bad of a handle. Took it to work and showed it arround, we joked about it how

big it was and "Zombie killer" was used to describe it.

I know someone is asking, "why is this noob on this forum?". I will get to that. Talking to a fellow cook

I came up that I will never use that knife for cooking. The blade wedged way to early when cutting a

potato. Don't even think about looking at a tomato with it. With my steel system (ya I know) the edge

would roll over creating a wire edge and never losing any metal in the process. (I have put a edge on a

few knives with my coarse steel.) It seemed to thick and heavey. Those are just a few problems I found

with the knife. So after thinking about this knife for a few months I posted a question between a chef's

knife and a Bowie knife. In the thread Butch called it a bush knife.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Bowie-vs-Chef?

Within a few minutes of posting some pictures Randy contacted me and offered to try an fix this beastly

zombie buschef blade!! After a few days thinking about it I agreed to it. He got it last sat, and I want

to thank Randy for taking the prescious time to make this THING into a kitchen knife.

Cool beans! That's why I love this place. It's in good hands and will come out as good as it possibly can for what it was originally. I don't know what steel or anything but Randy will certainly turn it into a useable item. Weather or not it becomes a great knife you will have to keep us posted. Best of luck!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Awesome!! Im glad you posted this.

After receiving the knife, I couldnt help but think, What did I get myself into.. lol This thing is properly described as a "beastly zombie buschef blade!!"

OK so in a nut shell, I have determined that a simple regrind was not gona cut it.. And to do this "RIGHT" Its gona take a total OVERHAUL! Remove the handles, And thin the entire blade. Then....... Hmm. I think rather then telling you what Im gona do to it... I will just turn this thread into a mini WIP. Ill snap some photos of the knife and update this thread as I work on this one!! Could be interesting. Any suggestions on what you would like to see?

Crothcipt, dont worry, Ill get this one where you can actually use it in the kitchen and maybe even be proud to show your friends!! lol ... and ThEoRy thx. for the vote of confidence..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I can't wait.

Umm, is it alright if I buy a $30 damascus chef and send it your way Randy? You can mail it back to me with my cufflinks!

I'm only kidding. Sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Umm, is it alright if I buy a $30 damascus chef and send it your way Randy? You can mail it back to me with my cufflinks!

I'm only kidding. Sorta.
    It's cheaper than buying a Damascus billet and shipping it to him. Not the worst idea ever.

Alright, now let me set the record straight.. This is NOT something I plan on offering or want to start doing..So dont get any ideas about buying cheap knives and sending them to me to doctor up.

By the end of this thread, I expect that anyone who reads this will think twice B4 buying a cheap damascus knife! :P

I have serious doubts about the steel and even with the face lift, I do not have great expectations.. I do know it will look better and have a proper blade geometry etc, that should make it cut better regardless! Stay tuned for pictures and specs.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Took some pictures of the beastly blade.

Here are the current specs.

OAL 13 1/8", 335mm
    Blade 8 1/2", 220mm
    thickness 3/16" , 5mm
    Heel 47mm at the heel growing to 49mm near midway between the heel and tip.. then sweeping to the tip.

Here it is next to a couple other knives, a 240 I made and a vintage carbon blade Son sent me.. Thanks Son!!!!!

Tip.

Nxt step is to tear this handle off!!

Oh boy! That thing is thick like a leafspring!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Oh boy! That thing is thick like a leafspring!
    LOL, Thats what I was thinking.

Nothing a 36 G Blaze orange belt and my surface grinder cant fix!! Im planning on taking it down to about 2.5mm and then re heat treating it..

Then Ill test and see what RC I get right out of the quench.. and then go from there .. They said it is 1095 and 15n20. If thats the case. I should have no problem getting into the mid 60's out of quench. Time will tell..

+ Reply to Thread