Quantcast
Zombie Buschef Knife - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zombie Buschef Knife

Great thread. Reminds me of that Koster knife I had a while ago. Looked great, but was more like a Bowie than a real kitchen knife... Look forward to seeing where this is going.

Stefan

It looks like tomorrow or Friday I will be Heat Treating this blade and a few others. Im not sure what I will do for the handle yet. But probably will do it up nice for ya is the blade hardens.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Man you are busy, which is good to hear. Man I can't wait to see what you come up with. I usually don't get excited but this is blowing me away.

Ok I am chomping at the bit to know how Heat Treating went. Did it melt all over the oven like I think it would? Pleas throw me a bone...

Hang in there. I didnt get a chance to HT the blade today. Im thinking tomorrow afternoon maybe.

That is if it doesn't melt!!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Today was the day. I started the HT process on this knife! First I had to anneal it and ran it through a couple of normalization cycles. Trying to make the steel as ready as possible for the quench!

Believe it or not. HT went well. I took the blade up to temp, and held for about 5 minutes. Then quenched the blade in oil. And guess what, It didnt explode or delam or warp etc. seemed to HT well as far as I can tell at this point. And Is straight as a arrow.

Its not in the first of 2 temper cycles..

Here are a few pictures. I am working alone today. so I didnt get photos on the quench or clean up etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7136.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	5394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7142.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	5395  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7146.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	5396  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Availible Knives

wow. Just by how the metal acted, when I had it home I would have thought this would have been more of a problem than what it turned out to be. Thx for the pics.

It's ALIVE!! Isn't think disproving the old idiom that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear??

Dont get ahead of me on this one guys.. It did make it through the quench.. And after its quenched I tempered it. and then I tested it for hardness.

My initial tests are bad! Very low RC.. It is SO LOW that its softer then the test equipment that I use even goes.. I dont know what kind of steel they used.. but Its is not High Carbon steel, let alone 1095 like they claimed.. or I would of been able to get it to harden..

Am I surprised. NO

More to come later.

Availible Knives

Could it be that it had a very small core of 1095, and that damascus cladding is made from low carbon stuff?