Quantcast
How you know it's sharp
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How you know it's sharp

How you know it's sharp

What tests to you all use to determine if our knife is sharp enough? I know of the paper test, but outside of that I'm not sure how I can tell I have a sharp edge or perhaps just a grabby wire edge.

Cut what you are going to be cutting with it.

There is just no substitute. I mean, I will push cut paper, rub it on my arm(I used to shave hair, but then learned that I just know how the edge feels on my skin as a side effect of doing it a lot...plus there's no hair there anymore), feel it with my fingers, etc...but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Push cut paper without slicing at different parts all along the edge. Push cut ripe tomato with no pressure. Shave arm hair.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

yeah I like the paper test because I can test all along the blade and see which spot needs more work. As for when it is sharp enough to stop, you kind of just know. It really doesn't take much to get it sharp once you get the hang of it.

I think it's kinda like grilling a steak, after enough times, you just know.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Balance the edge on your tongue, if it falls through it's sharp!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Forget that. Its called the how deep test. You set knife edge on thumb and pull very fast. If you see bone you win... err... its sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Cut what you are going to be cutting with it.

There is just no substitute. I mean, I will push cut paper, rub it on my arm(I used to shave hair, but then learned that I just know how the edge feels on my skin as a side effect of doing it a lot...plus there's no hair there anymore), feel it with my fingers, etc...but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    x2

Colin's folded paper cut test is a good one, though.

I think any test that you like is fine - push cutting paper, shaving arm hair - as long as you use the same test so you can develop a refence point. The important thing is to pay attention to HOW it cuts, not just that it cuts.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    if you can cut a strip from the edge of a sheet of paper that is thinner than the paper is thick your knife is sharp!!!