One for the weird wood pusher!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
I finished this one up today for our buddy Mark, its a 270 mm suji, CPM 154, at HRC 61, hand rubbed to a smokey finish.

Now Mark sent me a piece of wood for this project, it came unfinished. A black block of something or other really, but hey, Mark knows wood! Hopefully he will pop in and tell us what it is, if I had to guess, I would say stabilized dyed redwood burl. It looks fairly dull until the light hits it, then it pops!

He also requested plain pins, and left the rest to me to decide what to do with the handle.

I had some trouble picking bolsters, I looked at stainless, copper, micarta, G10, brass... Nothing made me happy, so I reached into the tickle trunk and found some ivory.

Mammoth Ivory, that was described as being 40,000 years old! It has a slight yellow tone, and the crossweave pattern needs to be seen to be appreciated.

There are black vulcanized fibre liners full length between the scales/bolsters, and the tang. As well as black and white fibre spacers between the bolsters and scales.

Height at the heel is 40.5 mm

Full distal taper, and convex ground.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_4120.jpgIMG_4115.jpgIMG_4123.jpg
IMG_4122.jpgIMG_4116.jpgIMG_4117.jpg

If I get better light I'll try to get better pictures.

Now thats nice! Great choice on the ivory bolsters! really looks good with that wood.. Congrats Mark, This looks like a nice new cutter!!!! :D

Whoa, the last pic looks so different, that must be crazy looking in person!

Very nice combination of materials Pierre! Simple and beautiful! Congratulations... interesting how it looks different when exposed to increased light... :biggrin:

Yeah! Its weird, there are some silver fleck, black and silver/grey streaks, lighter eyes, when I started grinding, the block looked like charcoal.

Its what is so nice about natural materials... they change depending on the circumstances. Those slicers that you are making are SO nice.. I have really enjoyed my damasteel suji.. is so nimble that is a pleasure to slice proteins with.. Its my go to precision knife.

Another homerun, Pierre! Looks like Mark is in for a treat!

I am very excited about this knife.
It turned out way nicer than I could have ever asked for.
Thank you for making such a great looking knife for me Pierre.

The wood, I sent to Pierre as just a black chunk. He probably thought "this is boring".
It is redwood burl dyed black and stabilized by K&G.
You can see from the photos the color change when light hits it from different angles.

I think Pierre's decision to use the ivory was a good one. Nice contrast and goes good with the flash in the redwood.
I had hoped for fairly conservative with understated coolness. Exactly what Pierre accomplished with this knife.

Enough of my rambling.
.......did I say I really really like this knife?
Thank You Pierre.

He's got the knack. When are you gonna start taking orders Pierre? Oh, wait.......

So Mark, are you trying to say you like the knife that Pierre made for you? How do you really feel about it? :biggrin:

Nice job Pierre - I would be happy too.

So Mark, are you trying to say you like the knife that Pierre made for you? How do you really feel about it? :biggrin:

I guess it will be ok.
Just teasing.
:shocked3:
I am really excited about this knife.
I can't wait for it to arrive.

Back