Konosuke "Silver" Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookin808

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone can provide me with some information regarding what the characteristics of "Silver" steel might be that is used by Konosuke. I have read that it provides stain/rust resistance but haven't been able to find information about ability to hold an edge and ease of sharpening. Does anyone out there have experience working with this steel. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Made by Hitachi. G3 / gin-3 / ginsanko / silver paper steel is a well regarded stainless, c. 1% carbon, 14% chromium. Used in monosteel blades like the Hiromoto G3 and Ikkanshi Tadatsuna Inox and clad knives also (Tanaka, Takayuki, Sakai Yusuke)

Ashi and Gesshin Ginga stainless models are G3 too. Might have to try it out some day. Seems to be a very good choice for stainless.

Slainte,
rj

Ashi and Gesshin Ginga stainless models are G3 too. Might have to try it out some day. Seems to be a very good choice for stainless.

Slainte,
rj

Are you sure?

The best evidence i've seen is for aeb-l/13C26

Ashi's own website says the Ginga line is made from Swedish stainless. Dr Naka contacted them about it too.

It has been suggested that the Yusuke Swedish and Konosuke Swedish are "similar".

Uddeholm aeb-l is a likely candidate, as is the Sandvik equivalent 13C26. Suisin uses 19C27 in its stainless inox honyaki line.

Not a fan. Putting that tip on it adds no utility that I can think of (not that I regularly cut up Octopoda), and then bolting a western-style handle (and not a particularly nice one at that imo) on something that is basically aping a Japanese sword looks, well, silly. Bling done badly.

I prefer the appearance of wa handles as well, but think the aesthetics of that blade look spectacular. Bishamon (did he ever migrate here?) had one of these by Konosuke in blue steel with an ebony wa handle, and despite having neither much disposable income nor a particular need for a single-beveled slicer I almost placed an order. Part of that inclination, I freely admit, comes from having a gorgeous piece of mirror-polished steel rather than from any measurable utility in the kitchen.

For what its worth, if I ever did go single-bevel, it would probably be to get a matched ginsanko yanagi and deba from Konosuke. Heresy, I know.

Back