Quantcast
How do restaurants make _______ to order?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do restaurants make _______ to order?

How do restaurants make _______ to order?

Thought it might be interesting to find out how restaurants make certain things to order in terms of the pre-cook, storage, and reheating stages.

One thing I've always wondered is flan (served warm of course). Assumed its always a make before and reheat thing, but I always wondered if there is a more elegant solution since there is guesswork on how to much to make beforehand and possibility of running out if not enough are made or waste if they aren't ordered.

I know its often served cold but I mean in a more savoury application, I like it warm.

Any other things you have wondered about?

much more awesomer
    I've always wondered about MTO risotto, and the poor schlub on the line who has to stand there, stirring it constantly for 25 minutes, just for me... and then someone else orders it!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    I've always wondered about MTO risotto, and the poor schlub on the line who has to stand there, stirring it constantly for 25 minutes, just for me... and then someone else orders it!
    I don't make this so I can't tell you the exact timings but restaurants do this by parcooking a big batch of rice then cooling it down. This cooled parcooked rice can now be portioned out and used to make risotto the way you normally would, but much faster.

This would be a good technique to use if you intend to make the dish at a dinner party at home.

much more awesomer
    Hmmm... risotto with strawberries and taleggio cheese... maybe! Thanks!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

However there are restaurants that do cook their risottos from scratch.. The menu would usually specify a minimum waiting time... For flans and tarts, I make the base/crust and blind bake and chill/freeze. The filling is filled in and then the whole pie/tart is baked.

I wonder if any restaurants make their hollandaise/mayonnaise to order though.. That would be quite a feat if your busy.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I don't make this so I can't tell you the exact timings but restaurants do this by parcooking a big batch of rice then cooling it down. This cooled parcooked rice can now be portioned out and used to make risotto the way you normally would, but much faster.

This would be a good technique to use if you intend to make the dish at a dinner party at home.

the majority of places do make rissotto this way, the best way i have found is to almost cook the rissotto DRY durring the par blanch phase. this way the starchy liquid doesnt solidify with your rice durring cooling. that starchy liquid can make your reheated product more challenging as well becuase it doesnt make the rissotto very creamy and clean it makes it starchy. so if you do it make sure to use a rubber spatula, and stir it a lot and get almost all the water out of it before laying it on a sheet tray with a SILPAT, dont use parchment paper cause the paper gets soggy, then put it in the walk-in.

if you are cooking to order its usually in a coursed out pre-designed menu from a station that is set up to do that. So the rissotto might be the 5th course in an 8 course menu and its fired immediatly upon order and the person cooking it usually doesnt have anything to do with courses 3 or 4 or maybee even 2,3,4 to allow them to keep up with the order.

generally if your doing pre-cooking for most anything you need to think of the food as a "blanching" stage. Blanch and shock all the food so the time it takes to pivk it up when its ordered and to be plated is less than 7 or 8 minutes. so if you need mushrooms, you would sear them in a hot pan in oil/butter, drain them and cool them, then for service they are added to whatever you need to for pick up. Assembly is the same way. if you go to a wine bar or whatever and they have a flatbread pizza, chances are its already assembles on a flatbread dough that has been blanched off and topped with the stuff that needs to get hot. then onto a pan and in the oven, garnishes are added after cooking and out to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    However there are restaurants that do cook their risottos from scratch.. The menu would usually specify a minimum waiting time... For flans and tarts, I make the base/crust and blind bake and chill/freeze. The filling is filled in and then the whole pie/tart is baked.

I wonder if any restaurants make their hollandaise/mayonnaise to order though.. That would be quite a feat if your busy.
    I know people who claim they can make mayo in no time by just tossing everything in a jar and hitting it with an immersion blender.

that probably works if you have pre-weighed ingredients based on trial and error over a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlord View Post
    that probably works if you have pre-weighed ingredients based on trial and error over a period of time.
    Or if you're not that particular about consistency, which I strongly suspect to be the case in this instance.

aren't there some new techniques to make mayo using hydro-colloids? I don't see a good reason why someone would want to make mayo from scratch though or hollandaise for that matter... or most any sauce except salsa fresca maybe??? Most sauces that include some sort of stock I think get better by spending some time in the fridge so the flavors mix or mingle together.