Quantcast
What to buy.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to buy.

Red face What to buy.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Nakiri

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

My wife has given me the green light for spending more on knives! I'm returning the global I purchased and want a vegetable cleaver to replace it.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics-
    I don't care too much for the handle. I want something that looks traditional.

Edge Quality/Retention-
    I want something that will be easy to sharpen and hold a good edge. Must be a significant upgrade from the global.

Ease of Use-
    Comfort-
    I don't cook a lot, once a day usually during the weekdays and maybe a few times on the weekend. I do want something that feels good in the hand and prefer a Wa handle.

What grip do you use?
    Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    Push cut, draw, rocking. Still learning, but I like rocking the least.

Where do you store them?
    Knife block. Plan on purchasing a strip.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
    No, but I oil my board.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    Boos

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
    I have a spyderco Sharpmaker. I will be purchasing a 1k stone alongside the new knife. I also plan on adding a strop.

Have they ever been sharpened?
    Touched up the Global a tad on the flat side of the fine stones and used a honing rod.

What is your budget?
    225-275 shipped.

What do you cook and how often?
    I am on a diet and it consist of lean meats, mostly fish, and vegetables. I usually will bake the fish and sauté vegetables. I do this for dinner and lunch meals during the week. On the weekend I try to get more adventurous. I like to slow cook on the weekend, lots of roasts and such. However I'm trying to branch out and learn a variety of things.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
    I'm in the US and would prefer to buy from one of the supported vendors. This has caught my eye. I don't want a Gyuto necessarily. I have considered a Santoku, but from what I have read, that type of knife doesn't excel at any particular task. Overall I'm looking for something that will cut veggies well. If that happens to be a Gyuto, I'm willing to listen to reason.

I think a gyuto cuts pretty much everything well. I don't have a clue as to why anyone needs a nakiri.

I love Nakiri's myself, and if you want a wa handle, I'd go with a large Takeda. Though you can't get it from a vendor here that I know of, it is an awesome knife.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    I love Nakiri's myself, and if you want a wa handle, I'd go with a large Takeda. Though you can't get it from a vendor here that I know of, it is an awesome knife.
    Do you have a link? Thanks!

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

If you like the Yoshihiro I'd go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    I think a gyuto cuts pretty much everything well. I don't have a clue as to why anyone needs a nakiri.
    Can't agree more.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I love my nakiri, more than I love my gyuto. Possibly because its a super thinned out shig but hey its awesome. Whenever I'm in the kitchen with it, its the only knife that has always been commented on.

I also have another 2 and one in the works so I really do love them.

Although I've never met a type of knife I don't enjoy using.

If you looking at the upper end of your budget (and just a bit more) you could look at a custom from Del Ealy he has some in the works right now which will be laser cutters. May not work great on potatoes but everything else they should do an awesome job on. Slicing and dicing.

Otherwise if you want to try one out to see if you like it, as well as give carbon a run, the tojiro shirogami is always good bang for the buck. Spyderco should be able to put a decent edge on that. That'll give you a taste for Nakiri as well as carbon steel and won't set you back much at all!

Otherwise I really like the Takeda kobunka-bocho that I tried (will be my next purchase when they come in stock) and I'm sure one of his Nakiri's would be awesome.

P.s sharpening either of the Del, Takeda, Toj Shiro, will also be easier then the global. Globals are a PITA!

As a home cook myself I never really worry too much about retention because I'm not afraid of it dying on the line, but all 3 steels used will be great and take a good edge.

O1/AEBL - Del, Aogami Super - Takeda, Shirogami - Tojiro

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Can't agree more.
    If you were to recommend a Gyuto, what would it be? I'm open to suggestion.

You don't have to run away from Nakiri's before trying one if vegetables are your thing, they are amazing. Can do meats and stuff well too!

However if you are going to look into gyutos, what/if anything, did you like about the global/knives you've previously used?

Would you prefer stainless or carbon?

Nakiri is a vegetable knife that is suitable for push cutting only (or that is the proper way to cut with it). The way I see it, it has one cutting area, here we call it a "sweet spot". A gyuto, on the other hand, has 2-3 sweet spots and a tip, so one can use each of these spots for different cutting tasks. In short, a gyuto can do erything nakiri does, and more (i.e. push, pull, down cut, tip work, etc)

If you like gyutos with profiles on a flat side, there are a few to choose from, by Japanese and American makers. Masamoto KS comes to mind - it should fit your budged, should you not mind a carbon knife.

Over the years, I gravitated toward using fewer knives that are multipurpose cutters.

I too owned a couple of nakiris once, so if you really want a nakiri, go for it. Maybe you will find it more useful than I.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread