Thread: Need advice on buying a gyuto, looking at Hattori.

Need advice on buying a gyuto, looking at Hattori.

I am looking to purchase a gyuto and am currently considering the Hattori FH knife. I like a knife that has a little bit of weight to it and isn't super light. I also prefer laser knives that are easy to sharpen and hold on edge for a long period of time. Any thoughts on whether the Hattori fits this description? Any other knives I should be looking at? Thanks!

Hi Bechler!

Any other criteria that might help folks with making recommendations? Any particular priority ranking to different factors like cost, looks, handle type, steel type, etc?

I haven't used the Hattori FH gyuto so I can't help there
    Len

I would go for 52100 or Devins PM

Cheapest 52100 that I think will preform ok is Ultimatum @cktg

Len,

In terms of cost I am looking to stay within the 200-300 range. I prefer a western handle on the gyuto and am open to different types of steel. I am fairly new to all of this so am not too familiar with the differences between all of the steels . Thanks for the help.

I enjoy my Hattori FH. I think the profile is great for meat butchery to veggie breakdown. The handle is very comfortable. Its VG-10 steel, never had a problem putting a very nice edge on it and retaining that edge.

Koki at JCK is great to deal with and would gladly answer any questions you have.

I assume your already looking at the JCK web site so you may want to consider their original series (kagayaki). I have one of the WA gyutos and considering the price point I only have good things to say. The hattori is a fine knife. I wouldn't mind having one of the Hattori cleavers!

Dave