Hi All

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayton

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is a little over due but here it is anyway.

Have been reading here for a few weeks and have been learning a lot while being entertained at the same time.

I am a home cook for 4 people. Cook almost every day. Lots of plants with some fish and meat here and there.

I started out 15 years ago with an 8" Wusthof Classic. After about 4 years I got a second 10" Messermeister and after that a few others here and there, most notably a Dexter Chinese cleaver. About 7 years ago I got a UX10 Santoku, which I really enjoyed for its light weight. For the past 7 years the Cleaver, Misono, and Messermeister were in constant rotation. However the cleaver always felt a little small, the Misono too short, and Messermeister had too much belly for my preference/cutting style and doing any work with the tip was just plain irritating because it sat so high.
Beginning of this year I sold a bunch of knives and freed up a good amount of funds. I set out to replace my favorite of the old but not perfect knives and ended up with a Sugimoto #6 Cleaver, a Carter 21.5cm Funayuki, and Konosuke HD 150mm Petty (never knew how much I'd actually enjoy this knife "format"). All in all I am very happy with all the new toys. "Want" won the battle over "Need" this year for sure.

A 270mm gyuto still needs to be added. I am leaning towards a Konosuke HD for that too.

New cutting board is also being obsessively looked at thanks to all your enablers as well as some additional stones (currently using just a 1200 and 6000).

This is it for now. Will try to get some pictures soon.

Welcome welcome! Sounds like you've got a nice collection going already ;)

Yeah I have been lusting after a carter for years now and the Sugimoto #6 I have been wanting since Andy777 first started writing about them. Finally fulfilled those two wishes and the great thing is that they live up to their very high expectations. The Konosuke petty was more of an impulse buy, but I am continuously blown away it. Have been filleting citrus instead of peeling them by hand just because I enjoy using it so much.

Yeah, fantastic start. You have some great knives, sir. Welcome.

Back