Can this be fixed?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Burke

Reaction score
I think I can do it. What do all of you think?

san mai 52100 core 416 sides.

310mm length, 47mm at heel 3mm at spine above heel.

standard.jpg

:scared1::scared4::Ooooh::eek2:

standard.jpg

WOW! I only saw the first picture at first and thought "fixed - what needs to be fixed?" and then I saw the second. Holy Cr*p!

Wow, that's incredible.

Let me guess, that didn't de-laminate, did it? It actually ripped the core apart. I saw a blade tear apart like that that Ed Schempp made, so that's my guess. How to fix it? Hmmm, I'd be interested to learn how.

-M

Let me guess, that didn't de-laminate, did it? It actually ripped the core apart. I saw a blade tear apart like that that Ed Schempp made, so that's my guess. How to fix it? Hmmm, I'd be interested to learn how.

-M

Yep split the 52100 right down the middle. As I sit here typing I can here it continue to split. I have seen this happen before also but this is the first time it has happened to me.

that thing would peel both the breasts off a pheasant in nothing flat!! Only problem is how to hold the bird.

This photo made me so sad when I saw it it my email. I was a little confused at first because the second photo didn't download. But I could see a small bump on the edge in the first photo.... Then the second photo downloaded on my phone and I realized it was over for my knife. :sh*thitsfans:

-Chuck

If it mAkes you feel better chuck I have another forged out now

It ain't over! I'd seriously consider taking this instead of a working knife. That is crazy cool. What a conversation piece!

HOLY SMOKES!! thats WILD Bill! I have never seen anything quite like that B4.

Almost makes me feel a little better about the micro chipping problem with my stainless san mai test blade.:( Im sure your new blade will work out better..

Much respect,
Randy.

I am not sure what happened on this. Everything was fine after hardening. Then into cryo and when it came out there was a crack on the spine. As it sat on the bench ping tink crack it started to split And I am not sure if it's done yet.

this knife ended up splitting clear from tip to tang and edge to spine, almost perfectly in the middle.

A new technique for creating single-beveled lasers in half the time?

Just curious at what they look like where the split is. And what are you gonna do with them?

Just curious at what they look like where the split is. And what are you gonna do with them?

Not exactly sure what you mean. But it looks like a nice clean satin break Probably just going to leave it hanging around the shop for a show and tell thing.

What I was meaning was the sides of were the 2 pieces used to meet. Its probably nothing to see. You only have a pic. from the top.

OK that is what i was thing but wasn't sure. looks like a nice fine grained break. I'll see if I can get a picture.

DANG!!!! I tried welding up 416 and Cru Forge and it just never stuck, but that is funky the away the core split. I think I recall one of the guys who does that a lot saying that you might want to clay up the spine on those laminates because the do get stressed all to hell in the quench. Derrick Wulf made a san mai blade recently using 304 as the cladding instead of 416 and he says it welds a lot easier. It also isn't martensitic steel , so I wonder if it gets stressed out less.

The fact that it crack is so symmetrical is really interesting. It seems improbable the the stresses would be so balanced and that the core steel would be the weaker element. As far as I'm concerned, this is an endorsement of your method (ignoring the obvious), that you can create something so balanced.

When I first started doing this laminate in 2002 I was talking with Daryl Myer and was told by him that this could and would happen. According to Daryl it is far more likely to happen with 300 series stainles than with the 400 series that I use and the reason that I use it in the first place. For those of you who don't know who Daryl Myer is Pretty much every modern pattern welding technique that we use in some way belongs to Daryl.

I think you have a great piece of modern art there.
Now you just have to figure how you will display your new sculpture.

standard.jpg

Back