Quantcast
M390 Steel ??
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M390 Steel ??

M390 Steel ??

I was at Marks shop to day, and found out his new Ultimatum comes in 3 different steels

Then I notices it comes in M390 Steel?

Site says:

BOHLER M390 MICROCLEAN steel is the new super steel on the block. Third generation powder metal technology. Developed for knife blades requiring good corrosion resistance and very high hardness for excellent wear resistance. Chromium, molybdenum, vanadium, and tungsten are added for excellent sharpness and edge retention. Can be polished to an extremely high finish.

Anyone got some experience?

I also read about this steel and am interested in hearing people's experience as well.

I don't know about the steel, but is it just me or does the grind on those knives look super sloppy? Almost as good as the ultra-secret-famous-samurai-swordsmith-polished $900 ******** knives.

I find the Ultimatums to be rather clean. I think it's a helluva lot of knife for the ching, honestly. The 52100 is the way to go, until this M390 is proven, even still, I'm a carbon guy over PM or stainless, anyday....

(this does not mean I will be purchasing a ******** knife anytime soon... I get a house brand (kagayaki), but naming after yourself, when you did not, infact make it yourself, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...)
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Let's try to keep this on topic and discuss the steel.

I have no experience with it, but here's a pretty informative thread from another forum: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...edge-retention

Yup....20% chromium and 4% vanadium make it very brittle in the anealed state. Ultra corrosion resistant with great edge retention after VERY PROPER HT. BIG BUCKS $$$$$....at least here in the USA. BU M390 is very well proven by some of the largest knife manufacturers. Very few custom makers use it because it is just too expensive.

Wowsers!

The M390 was not that hard either, it won't chip that easy. Im impressed so far!
    Damn!

Does Devin use this steel? Mark usually only goes with what Devin has shown him. If this is a steel that Mark or his fanboy club came up with on their own then I sure wouldn't be the first one to jump on that short bus and take a ride.

All I'm saying is that the steels being used in these knives are pretty well known to be top performers IF they're heat treated to the optimum custom parameters acquired through years of testing in real world experience. Stock factory heat treat recipes work well for many steels but 52100 & AEB-L are two examples of steels that don't fall into that category. They can either be spectacular or just mediocre, which side of the road a knife will go to is determined by the experience and knowledge of the custom heat treater, you can't just roll through the motions with these ones. I'm going out on a limb here and say that this M390 is likely the same but I could be full of crap too...

Engorged Member
    I talked to the guys at Alpha and they said that this is a very tough steel, but looking what people have written about it, it doesn't seem to be highly regarded for being able to take a fine edge.

Pesky

If I am not mistaken, Devin doesn't use this steel.

I don't know much about it, but I think it would require diamond plates (good! ) to sharpen.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com