Quantcast
Fu Rin Ka Zan of JCK
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fu Rin Ka Zan of JCK

Fu Rin Ka Zan of JCK

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FurinkazanW1Series.html

Don't hear much about this brand here. There was an older thread here (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Wi-another-JCK) but after that not much about them.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried them out since then and what your impressions were. I notice they have a "thick" and "thin" choice when you order. Talk about making decisions even harder.

I want one.

I was just looking at these earlier today. To make your decision even harder this is getting pretty close in price to the Masamoto KS WA Gyuto.

~$80 cheaper for the furinkazan, which is a substantial bit. I'd love to see some reviews of this knife though; white #1, done well, is supposed to be amazing

Actually when I look at that line and the prices, I say to myself I could have a Fujiyama konosuke with an ebony handle for just alittle bit more. I know they have their differences, but the Fujiyama line has been praised so much more it seems. I do want to try white #1, and jck forged or yoshihiros are probably a good place to start.

I have a knife by Fujiwara Teruyasu, though not of this line. The knife is pretty thick, and tends to wedge while cutting root veggies. On the other hand, it takes the sharpest edge I've seen on any of my knives, and this includes the Carter that I have. Fairly flat profile for the one I have. Haven't seen one in this line, so I can't really judge too much on that. All I can say, is for me, I'm going to make mine a project knife to thin out, since it is ridiculously easy to sharpen, and takes an amazing edge. The geometry is something that is suspect IMHO. I remember seeing a thread at some point about this knife, but don't remember much about it other than just a passing interest.

I've got a Nakiri from this line - which i love. Quite thin, real easy to sharpen and polishes up great. Get really damn sharp fast.
    I love it, one of my best purchases imo.

Though there may be options.

I just noticed JCK offers a thinner or thicker opetion now. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the Teruyasu from Epicurean Edge and this one at JCK?
    (^.#)

I have a Fujiwara Teraysau Nashiji Nakiri, which looks a lot like the FRKZ of JCK, same surface texture. I got mine from Japan WoodWorkers several years ago. Sharpens easily, takes a razor sharp edge and holds it well. Food will stick to it, but also slides off easily. Goes thru potatoes very easily, carrots feel soft when cut (no snap from the carrot), etc. Love it for mushrooms, onions, etc that I like to put on steaks, cutting potatoes that stick like crazy to my Kikuichi Carbon Elite Gyuto, etc. Love the Nakiri for the veggies!

Quote Originally Posted by sel1k1 View Post
    I just noticed JCK offers a thinner or thicker opetion now. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the Teruyasu from Epicurean Edge and this one at JCK?
    yeah, i'm quite curious about the thinner version as well...