Quantcast
Fu Rin Ka Zan of JCK - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fu Rin Ka Zan of JCK

A 240mm thinner option gyuto just arrived yesterday. I will see if I can get some pictures up later initial impressions are very good there seems to be no issues with the finish apart from the not very sharp ootb edge.
    This knife seems to run long with a 260mm handle to tip measurement and a 245mm heel to tip measurement. can't wait to get it on the stones and see what edge it takes.

well its good to hear the 240mm runs long. hopefully it takes an edge as fast as white 2. i read a review where the taper wasnt all too good from handle to tip(still 2mm ish toward the tip). im pretty interested in this line and i commend you for taking the plunge!

Yes the taper to the tip starts quite late on my knife. It sharpens really fast and cuts really well I've not had any wedging or sticktion problems so far. I like the profile on this blade with quite a long flat section at the back. I did request a flatter profile when I ordered it though so I can't say that all are like this.Overall really liking this knife so far seems the perfect length for me too.

Looks like it is time to bust out the automotive sandpaper and hit that choil and spine up a bit. Thanks for posting pictures and for the price this doesn't seem to be a bad deal considering Fujiwara's knives. Keep us informed with how you like it over the next couple of weeks.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Outstanding profile. If I order one I'll certainly make the same request!

I'm thinking of trying a "thick" version....anyone know what it would be comparable to? All my knives are lasers so thought I'd try something different.

im thinking of trying a thick version too. im willing to bet theres hardly any consistency with the spine's thickness. i bet they run 3+ mm for the 240mm. if i order one im going to get with koki and try and get a 3.3 or so...

Just got mine in the mail today. Asked Koki for a thinner, nicer fiished one with a smaller flat spot and he delivered completely, he even sent a picture to confirm. It weighs 5.7oz and is finished very nicely also has a little more belly as I requested since my new Moritaka 270 is plenty flat for that type of work. All in all I think it is pretty awesome that Koki will go so far out of his way to hand pick out a knife for someone. And it doesn't hurt that it was screaming sharp ootb and came in 4 delivery days from Japan.

Here is the picture Koki sent me before I purchased it. I will try to take some pictures and get them up here sometime, pretty cool once it starts to patina.

Chopitup, you're picture isn't working, at least for me that is.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater