Quantcast
Employment Problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Employment Problems

Hi Dave. I have a small business and have success in hiring part-time help using Craig's List. I only consider those who post CV's which in your case would include woodworking background. Hope that helps and good luck!

Doesn't sound like anything has changed in at least 20 years to me. I always tell people you can get a good feel for the available labor pool by going to McDonald's. If the service sucks, you can bet that your job applicants will too because that's what you've got to work with.

-AJ

What about a local community college/ trade school w/a wood working/carpentry program. My students are always in demand and I get great feedback from my advisory committee.

Heck, I work at a catering company and a college...we can't even find a good dishwasher!

Its because of high un employment...good workers are the only ones with jobs, and they are being saddled with doing everything, while all the suckfish are trying their hand at something new.

Plus everyone assumes that, worst case scenario, someone else will take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post

Its because of high un employment...good workers are the only ones with jobs, and they are being saddled with doing everything, while all the suckfish are trying their hand at something new.
    This may be the most brilliant observation I have read in years. I think you are spot on.

-AJ

I would suggest contacting local cabinet shops.
    They are bound to know of someone.

Another idea is high school wood shop. When I was in high school both my brother and I were hired by a local cabinet shop for part time work.
    The teacher should be able to tell you who to hire and who to stay away from.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Plus everyone assumes that, worst case scenario, someone else will take care of them.

Sponsors
    its funny, but i know quite a few people who keep saying to me that they wont take a job that pays less than their unemployment so they arent looking for jobs... weirds me out

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    It is amazing. Even trying to find a good Server is difficult. Good cooks are even harder.

Tell me about it. I'm looking for a grill cook now and after wading through all the jokers I finally find an applicant I feel is worth an interview and he no shows on me today! Go figure. You need work. I may offer you a position. WHA HAPPEN YOU GUY!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I feel your pain. Usually doing the work can be taught to someone eager. I hope you find someone with character and a good work ethic.