Media Lucky Peach #3

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnochef

Founding Member
Reaction score
Anybody else here reading the David Chang rag? Issue 1 dedicated to ramen was pretty damn good, then issue 2 sucked somewhat even though there was a relatively intelligent article on Japanese single bevel knives.

Then comes #3, which is probably the best one so far! Dedicated to chefs and cooks, with cool articles about people cooking in really interesting locales.

What really caught my eye, though, was the knives photographed on the back cover. The mag says "back cover knives courtesy of Matthew Rudofker." I wonder if he is a member here? The impressive photo includes Rader, Fowler, Shigefusa and Kramer gyutos, a Takeda deba, Misono hankotsu and more. A very serious collection!

Edit: I just Googled his name and he is the sous chef at Momofuku Ssam Bar in NYC.

I ordered on amazon when they said they had stock, it hasn't shipped yet but now it says they are out of stock and my order hasn't shipped yet. It's not clear if I'm getting mine or not...

I remember seeing a Heiji in the picture and immediately thought that they must be his knives.

Personally, I thought Issue 2 was awesome because I've never read anything that describes the Ikejime processin any detail. Then again, I'm a fish dork.

huh? who am I? I own knives? BullSh*t!

yea they are some of my knives.

I will get on that. though the gallery wont be complete till certain makers tell me I am at the top of their wait list...wink wink. But seriously I have been holding out, I have sold a few things but I still have a good group of knives.

Anybody else here reading the David Chang rag? Issue 1 dedicated to ramen was pretty damn good, then issue 2 sucked somewhat even though there was a relatively intelligent article on Japanese single bevel knives.

Then comes #3, which is probably the best one so far! Dedicated to chefs and cooks, with cool articles about people cooking in really interesting locales.

What really caught my eye, though, was the knives photographed on the back cover. The mag says "back cover knives courtesy of Matthew Rudofker." I wonder if he is a member here? The impressive photo includes Rader, Fowler, Shigefusa and Kramer gyutos, a Takeda deba, Misono hankotsu and more. A very serious collection!

Edit: I just Googled his name and he is the sous chef at Momofuku Ssam Bar in NYC.

Thanks for the tip. Just bought a subscription.

I will get on that. though the gallery wont be complete till certain makers tell me I am at the top of their wait list...wink wink. But seriously I have been holding out, I have sold a few things but I still have a good group of knives.

C'mon Matt, you're better than this. ;)

I was checking out ebay to see if I could get the first issue for cheap. But most are being sold for $90. I'm glad I already read it at the book store last year.

Lynne Rossetto Kasper (The Splendid Table lady) talked about the mag in an interview. So, when celebs of her caliber start to say good things about it, the types of fans that will pay $150 an issue start lining up.

Like mhlee, I actually first stumbled across the mag a few months ago when reading up on Ike jime (after seeing one of Jon's Japanese Knife society vids on flounder).
Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2wgKuV_X0&feature=youtu.be

One Article here:
http://digitalissue.houstonpress.com...8228&pn=12#_m0 (but haven't yet found a digital copy of The Lucky Peach).

Just picked up Lucky Peach #3(pretty good read by the way) and I gotta say that's 1 amazing collection of knives you got there mattrud!

Will someone please post a picture of the picture before I lose my mind and spend $150 on eBay to see it myself? ;)

Good read indeed. Thanks again for getting me into this.

Will someone please post a picture of the picture before I lose my mind and spend $150 on eBay to see it myself? ;)

Johnny..Lucky Peach #3 is only $11.00(or so) at your local bookstore/magazine shop. Issue #1 is the one that's going for big $$$.

I found mine in the cookbook section,not the cooking magazines section(kinda weird)..

Latest posts

Back