Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Problems - Not the tip...but the heel

alright I'll take some pics later...Ive got one more test to study for and I've already "wasted" tons of time fixing this knife...

I got it straight and learned a LOT in the process. I have essentially not been cutting a bevel into the knife (this I knew) I was basically just trying to maintain the geometry and profile that the knife came with by constantly thinning behind the edge. Well we all know where that got me. It was and still is because of the backside of the knife. The area near the heel I have a hard time getting the angle correct(both the angle of the knife perpendicular to the stone and the angle of the edge of the knife against the stone) and for some reason I create a sweeping motion the gets really far behind the edge but not the edge itself. Over time it warps the heel.

So I took my diamond plate (the one from Jon Broida) and a sharpie (OK Tinh commence eye rolling and I told you so's thanks for telling me one more time) and started cutting an actual bevel into the knife. In about 20 minutes I had it nice and flat and had restored the profile of the knife. Another 30 to get that damn wire edge off from the 150 grit and to polish the edge up to 5000. Luckily my new stones came from Jon today (Gesshin 400 and 5000) man they cut faster than superstones!

I don't seem to have a problem hitting the edge of the heel on the backside but behind the heel is tough. For some reason here I can't get it to hit the stone perfectly. I can almost get it if I point the tip at like 25 degree for the perpendicular angle Regardless I now understand a little more about sharpening and maintaining a consistent bevel. I'll post a pic later tonight for now I've got some other work to do. Thanks for your help everyone. I at least feel like if I create a problem as I continue to learn how to sharpen more effectively that at least I can fix it because of the knowledge on these forums and trial and error.

And wednesday when I'm done with my damn grad school finals I'll post a video.

Ok...well here's some pics. I'm weak. As you can tell i'm also no pro amazing sharpener at all but it has a very very serviceable edge.

I know that my polish isn't that great at all. My main concern was restoring and maintaining the newly evened heel.

It needs some more work but its better than it was.

Looking like you got it going Please post the final result when you are done ...

That is a moritaka? Could have been an overgrind near the heel?

It could just be me, or a shadow that I am seeing in the second picture. But, it almost looks like you have the start of a birds beak at that tip (a common problem). You might want to be sure that you are spending enough time on the tip area and not just hitting it a little at the end of your stroke.

By the way...it's looking good.

Regards,
    Chris
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I noticed this last night. Funny...didn't use to be a problem for me. I could rely on the angle of the blade to keep the cutting consistent on the stone....now instead of just constantly thinning the edge my wrist has problems keeping things unwobbly...I used to sharpen that way but ditched it. I wasn't bad at it but wasn't great either. Back to the basics...Heiji is next.

Wobbling does not cause a birds beak. It is caused by spending an insufficient amount of time toward the tip area and spending too much time just shy of it. Its an easy fix. But, I would suggest working on the Moritaka a little more until you figure out why you are getting the uneven grinding at the tip. Not only is it a smaller knife (making it a little easier to sharpen), but it is also less expensive just in case you screw up. Once you figure out what in your technique is causing you to develop the birds beak and get that worked out, then I would say it's safe to move onto the Heiji.
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

Well too late for that one...I even put it on the diamond plate!!!
    Its better but not by much...Sharper than ever though. I still can't figure it out. Regardless I have no skin left on any of my fingers...hurts bad to type.

One thing that amazed me was how easy it was to de-burr/de-wire edge the heiji. Baffled at that. Perhaps it just doesn't abrade quite like the paper steels.

But I'm basically throwing in the towel at this point. I feel much more confident moving slowly across the stones than I used to because of wobble. Realizing that wobble isn't as bad as say whatever the hell it is I'm doing wrong. Its all because of the backside too. The front side (I'm right handed) is a breeze. I can polish and sharpen it perfectly. Its the backside that screws it all up.

I think in time I will sort this out. Until then...well the expensive knives will just have to take a little abuse. I'm not afraid of that at all just wish it wasn't that way. I know that is pretty counter to what some here think but I guess I just think these things were made to be used and by more talented hacks than me...but still a tool nonetheless.

Thanks for looking.

im glad you are getting this figured out ol buddy.

ive never had to do the sharpie thing but it does work at helping you understand where metal is coming off and get you in the habit of carefully observing what is happening every step along the way.

i would agree that you should work on the moritaka more before messing around with your beloved heiji.

keep up the pics and i would also like to see a video. i haven't seen you sharpen since you were at my house that day over a year ago.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"