Quantcast
Sharpening Problems - Not the tip...but the heel - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharpening Problems - Not the tip...but the heel

also i started doing something different on the backside that i can show you if you get some time this week. i start my new job on monday but can make time any day this week to get together and do some sharpening. my a-type and HD could actually use some work. it would be fun to get all my stones out as well as try out that gesshin 5k
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Looks like you're getting there, G. About the bird's beak, that can also be due to flexibility at the tip. If you are applying some pressure, the very tip is flexible enough to bend back so you are actually sharpening the part just behind the tip with more force. There are three solutions:
    1. Lighten up on the pressure (but it takes a bit longer).
    2. Put your finger on the actual tip (but then you lose some skin).
    3. Increase your angle and work the tip then drop the angle until you are done with the flexible part of the tip and then sharpen normally (Don't ask me how I know but this can turn out funky if you're not careful).

I noticed something more... The front of the handle looks like you have been sharpening the handle also... That would suggest that you puch the heel too deep into stones surface, plus when you hit the handle, you wobble extra much and maybe thats when heel starts to get rounded? Just a suggestion.

I have exact same petty, and its actually grind that way So when you try to thin the heel it hits the tang. If you try to change that you get overgrind heel

Yeah this is the only knife I've had that the handle was a problem like that. It's also as Maxim says, the only knife I have where to thin the heel you abrade the tang too. However I do think that most of my problem lies with too much pressure and working the heel too long. I'm realizing how true everyone's previous comments were about how it doesn't take much to get the heel sharp. I bought TamaneGiken's kono 240 last night to have as a carbon work gyuto and as one I can work on sharpening without breaking my heart...I just want to say again thanks for the continued critiques and comments. I will still get a video up but I think my talk about when is bigger than the time I have to execute. Soon though.

And Bryan I would love to see how you are doing the backside now. That sounds gross but you know what I mean.

Forgot to also say that it is clearly also a motion in making on the backside and not the front. Time to slow down again.