Quantcast
Carpal Tunnel of Love - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carpal Tunnel of Love

Acupuncture might work, I've treated several patients with such symptoms - most with success.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Had it so bad I would wake with crying pane some nights. Surgery worked, best thing I ever did
    How long was your recovery time?

Yeah, permanent irreversable damage. I know what that is.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Can you raise it up on blocks to get it to a better height? Get some suitable pieces of wood, or possibly some masonry, to put under the legs and enlist the help of a few people to lift the ends. May be able to use a floor jack to help raise it if you can't recruit enough labor.
    ...or maybe you could set a board on top of your work bench?

The chef in one of my kitchens has had surgery this past year for that very thing and he still has pain in his arm/ shoulder that is nearly as bad as it was before hand and now a couple nice scars to go along with it. We joked around about it because he has a very agressive style in the kitchen but it is very serious and not something to be taken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    How long was your recovery time?
    I was back at work in 5 days but couldn't use my hand for about two weeks. Took about 4-6 weeks to be better then new. The success rate of this surgery is very good trouble is a lot of people also have radial nerve damage and that's a whole other ball game. I know 4 or 5 people who had it and all were glad they did.

After a long period of futzing about the VA decided to go ahead and do the surgery on my CTS. I had just received 100% service connected rating so I just quit working instead. They couldn't do anything about the degenerated disc disease in the cervical spine so it was an easy call.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried changing the height of your work station(if you can)?
    Works for me. I do whatever i can at my two kitchens to achieve this. Im 6'3" and hunching over all day doing the work of three people frickin hurts man! Im 27, had been having tunnel related pains since my last carreer as a mechanic which ended 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Peco View Post
    Acupuncture might work, I've treated several patients with such symptoms - most with success.
    I love my accupuncture lady Mariah at the Pikes Place Market in downtown Seattle- it really helps!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    So I finally got the carpal tunnel release surgery on my right wrist/hand about 3 weeks ago. I'm still healing, but probably have about 65-70% good use of my hand. It hurts/feels weird when I try anything requiring a prolonged grip-especially a cutting motion. I hope to be back to full strength soon. Not being able to do any knife work or sharpening is driving me bananas.
    I took the summer off to be with my kids/travel and to have the recovery time. It also cost me 0.00$ out of pocket because we already maxed out our insurance due to my wife's surgeries and procedures. I'm seriously considering having the left one done at the end of summer before I return the wonderful, glorious, glamorous and high-paying world of being a chef. Supposedly the recovery is a lot easier in your non-dominant hand.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Never checked this thread before, I hope you will recover quickly and gain full function again. Glad it worked out with insurance, although just thinking about somebody having to pay 14K while having insurance makes me mad. Don't get me started on the US medical system... My CTS was very mild and only occasionally flares up, so I just have a vague idea what you are going through. However, I have a few fingers getting numb without pain, so I better have it checked out myself...

Stefan