Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HUGE mammoth tusk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Still-edo View Post
    When I first joined this forum, I thought it'd be like a million threads on how to "properly" sharpen a knife. Little did I expect knives made from meteors and mammoth tusks!

I shall continue to be astounded.

Welcome to KKF!! Thanks for checking out my forum!

Were having a BLAST and happy to have some other knife nuts to share it with!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

After much consideration, Im going to pass on this HUGE tusk! I want to say THANKS to the guys who were wanting to work with me to get this BEAST! I appreciate your support and willingness to take a risk on something like this. I always have my ear to the ground and will keep looking for deals and new stuff to play with!!

On a side not. I was able to secure a few exceptional crazy cool pieces. Smaller pieces, from different tusks.

These range in color, from a large 10lb chunk of pure white mammoth ivory to cut for furrels and end caps. to some red bark and a couple of amazing sets of blue bark.. and a piece of crackle pattern!! Sort of a variety pack!

Pictures to come!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Alright its not 100+ pound tusk, But it is pretty darn awesome!

The Large chunk is over 10 lbs of what has to be some of the finest white mammoth ivory I have ever seen. Im thinking about cutting this into a few nice blocks for Wa handles!! and Butt caps etc. As well as some scales and spacers etc.

And that set of blue is well.. You know!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluuuu 008.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	5355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluuuu 012.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	5356  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ivy95 001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	5357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tusk section 019.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	5360  

Name:	ivy95 003.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	5358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j1 001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	5359  

Availible Knives

Oooooohhhhh....blue!!!!!!!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Loving the blue, Is that rare for mammoth?

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Im thinking about cutting this into a few nice blocks for Wa handles!! and Butt caps etc.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Loving the blue, Is that rare for mammoth?
    Its my all time favorite color for a mammoth tusk, and tooth!!!
    Partly because I just love the color blue and would have to say its my favorite color. And secondly because when it comes to this stuff, Its as rare as you will find.. As I understand it, The colors come from the absorption of minerals around the area where the tusk laid for all those tens of thousands of years.

I my experience I would say shades of brown would be the most common color, and blue would be one of the most rare colors. Sometimes you will see combinations of brown with shades of blue popping out here and there. Green is probably as rare or almost as uncommon as the really exceptional blues!

In my experience. you can expect to pay upwards of $300.00 or more for a set of really exceptional blue mammoth ivory knife scales. If they are large and thick enough to make a full sized/large knife handle.

I did manage to cut up some tusk today! Its always a interesting and awesome experience cutting into something like this! I just love it! Photos being uploaded now. Ill post a few pictures ASAP.

Availible Knives

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Thanks for the knowledge, love interesting stuff like that.

My pleasure, I have always been fascinated by this stuff, as well as other ivory's, and exotic materials. Fossil or otherwise! Each has there own set of challenges when working with it. Yet most are so darn beautiful, that it out weighs the trials of sanding or drilling etc.

I have been very blessed to be able to work with so many Xtremely awesome materials!!

Here are the photos of my progress today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6965.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	5366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6966.JPG 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	5367  

Name:	IMG_6969.JPG 
Size:	395.4 KB 
ID:	5368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7013.JPG 
Size:	472.5 KB 
ID:	5370  

Name:	IMG_7016.JPG 
Size:	472.8 KB 
ID:	5371  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Availible Knives

Do i see a wa handle chunk??? Do my eyes deceive me?