Quantcast
Do western handless need rivets? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do western handless need rivets?

They make a drill bit with a counter bore for each size Corby and are usually sold by the suppliers who carry the Corby bolts..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

If its your first attempt I would say you should try it with out pins.If the wood is good and stabilized there should not be a problem.

Yea, this is my first time making a western handle. The wood is African Blackwood, which Mark told me doesn't need stabilizing. What do you guys think? Would that be stable enough to go without pins?

The reason I want to do it is that the handle has some small gaps between the wood and the tang. I don't really want to deal with the stock wood warping and the tang rusting, so I thought I could just replace the handle. I figured it wouldn't be too hard, since the knife doesn't have a bolster or anything like that. Just the handle.

Kitchen knives handles are never going to see the kind of abuse that some field knives can see, especially in the hands of idiots that are determines to "test" them to destruction. With that said, I like having some kind of "mechanical" connnection even if it is something as simple as a hole or two or some "sawtooth" slots cut into the end of a tang on an epoxied up hidden tang blade. i want to try very small diameter all-thread rod for hidden pins on a western style knife at some point,

Make sure to use a really good epoxy!

One of the benefits of pins is that it gives protection against against sheer force. (not sure if I said that right)
    When struck from the side the epoxy bond can be broken.

If you use pins, a good quality epoxy and apply a good finish to all the wood's exposed surfaces there should not be any problems.
    Most wood's movement is caused by uneven evaporation of moisture.
    The surface that dries faster will contract causing the wood to warp or cup.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

+ Reply to Thread