Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Maine

Hello from Maine

Hello all from Maine ! I am an amature foodie and knife lover who has been drawn to the lure of good quality cutlery ! so far in my meager collection I have a set of victronox god handled knives 1 boker damascus sontuku and 2 al mar damascus knives a sontuku and guyoto . Hope to learn much from my fellow foodies .
    Moses in Maine.

ps can any one recommend the best knife to cut basturma ???? lol!!

Welcome, and I'll bite. What's basturma?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Welcome to the Knut House!
    Use a Rader scimitar.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Welcome. From what I got off of google search is a pastrami.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Welcome. From what I got off of google search is a pastrami.

thanks for the greetings kind sir but thems fighting words!!!

basturma is the grand daddy of cured meats and a true Armenian dish . basically. take a tenderloin of beef soak it in a mixture called. chama. paprika chili powder cumin and some other stuff after the soak wrap in cheese cloth and hang dried for about 6 months . It tends to be an acquired taste most either love or hate it . Myself I can live of the stuff !!!!

Welcome!

Best thing to cut Pastirma with? Well, a slicer of course is the appropriate tool. Which slicer is best? Oh, I'd say one of these four:

Sounds more akin to a bresaola than a pastrami. Sujihiki should work just fine if you don't happen to have a Rader scimitar handy!

Welcome aboard!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    My bad I should have said a type of pastrami. I didn't do much reading just what the search brought up. I just read Basturma, a recipe for Lebanese Armenian pastrami.

Mr burke those knives look so beautiful I dare not ask there price for fear of stopping my heart from severe price shock !!!
    Are those knives of your own making. ? I see you spelled basturma with a P most don't that's more the Turkish or eastern Armenian way of spelling it . I have a great. Turkish restaurant here in Maine I go to all the time real home made anatolian food just like my great grandmother would make. They cure there own basturma to and it is. wonderful !!!