Quantcast
Stainless integral 90 mm Paring Knives available, Old Sheffield Stock!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless integral 90 mm Paring Knives available, Old Sheffield Stock!

Stainless integral 90 mm Paring Knives available, Old Sheffield Stock!

I have been enjoying the paring knife I bought from Stu Mitchell so much I though I would ask him if he could find any more. They are never handled old sheffield stock, from the portland works. My one here has been handled in blue micarta by Stu.
    I have thinned mine right down behind the edge, as the factory edge is a bit beefy. The steel and HT are top notch on these, we are not sure of the steel or the maker but it is close too a carbon steel, hard, easy to sharpen takes a hair topping edge and holds it. I'm very impressed with the steel whatever it is. The grind is very good with even plunges and a good quality finish. They are flat ground.

I can get hold of a number of these according to demand.
    Each will be thinned right down behind the edge with a tiny polished bevel and a little convexity added to the last third of the blade, so they cut as wonderfully as mine.
    I have a good stock of sexy burls for handle materials or open to suggestions. Prices for different materials will of course vary.

Let me know who would be interested in one of these, finished and handled to a high standard by myself, and fully tested to check they are all as good as this one, they are great quality and they don't make them anymore

I will get a price up shortly with a mid range stabilized burl like redwood as a price example.

Here are some pictures of mine.

I'm probably not going to spend that much on a paring knife.. but i am interested if the cost is kept down. Although i can't imagine it will be any cheap when they're getting rehandled and thinned down

Cute little knife. I even like the bright colored handle.

The thinning won't take too long, but yes the handling could take a while as i'm a bit of a perfectionist and I've not done loads of full tang. But i'll price it on how long it "should" take to do a tidy job.
    I'm just waiting on a price for the blades. If some want to do their own handling and thin then down towards the edge themselves on a diamond plate that could be an option to have blade only on some of these.

Oooo.. Steak knives! How much for twelve?

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by compaddict View Post
    Oooo.. Steak knives!
    There's an idea...

Off topic Will, but what does that micarta handle feel like? It looks like it has some texture to it.

Actually I tell a lie its not micarta, its blue G10. Its smooth but not too slippy. I would be planning on using some nice burls but if enough people fancied G10 I could get some in. I'm still waiting on a price on these, he only has 8 left out of the original 20, I'm trying to buy all the remaining 8 blades.

Very interesting. How much for blade without handle and grinding?

That is a nice looking little knife. I get the impression that you feel that the steel is of better quality than the typical .55% C stuff that you see in the German integrals.

They are stainless, if I had to guess I would say its something close to 12c26 or aeb-l. So probably not too high carbon, but the ht is spot on, a conservative estimate 58-60hrc. Nice stuff.
    In Stu's words these are from a time when Sheffield made great knives, but basically brand new.
    I will not know about price on these until later in the week folks after Stu has received them and assessed the condition.

+ Reply to Thread