Quantcast
Kanji Refinish Help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kanji Refinish Help

Kanji Refinish Help

I am in the middle of dressing up my Aritsugu A Gyuto that had been to he'll and back. Just finished with 400 grit and realize that I will need to re-ink my kanji. What do you knife makers use? Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gran8man View Post
    I am in the middle of dressing up my Aritsugu A Gyuto that had been to he'll and back. Just finished with 400 grit and realize that I will need to re-ink my kanji. What do you knife makers use? Any help will be appreciated.
    What's wrong with having Kanji off? Without kanji, would the knife be less valuable or useful to you?

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The kanji is stamped in and I just want to make it look new again. The knife is just as useful polished or scratched. I thought if I was taking the time and making the effort to remove the scratches I would dress it all the way. I don't know what media to use to turn the stamped areas black again.

What acid would you use and where do you get it?

PCB Etchant from radio shack perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Avishar View Post
    PCB Etchant from radio shack perhaps?

That'd be my first choice but I realize that not every Radio Shack carries it these days.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Hmm... on a related note, anyone have ideas for restoring the dragon engraving on a Misono carbon? Since etching would darken the entire blade, my only idea is to coat the blade in wax and then scratch out the engraving with a toothpick, before applying the etchant. The design is pretty intricate though.

no no no, don't go to PCB or you'll change the landscape of the blade.

if I want a REALLY bold mark I'll paint it with high quality black fingernail polish. but most commonly I will go at it with Casey's cold blueing solution from the gun cleaning section of walmart.

just dab it on with a Q-Tip and polish the flats back to your finished polish

Thanks Stephan. Blueing what a great and simple idea. I appreciate all the suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread