Quantcast
Yoshihiro anyone ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoshihiro anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    my wife has a 240 yoshi white 2 gyuto. its a nice knife but as jon pointed out, the OOTB edge was a little sub par. now that ive thinned it a little its a wonderful knife.
    Not to derail this thread but do you have any pictures of said knife, I've only seen their stainless gyuto's.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    I have a Yoshihiro 270mm White 2 yanagi. Its a solid performing knife. Good fit and finish. Takes an edge quickly. For that price range, I don't think you'll find one better.
    I've got a Yoshihiro White #2 yanagi, as well, with the shitan handle (dark) and a maple saya. I was warned that they're a bargain, but to watch out for blades that are twisted or bent slightly. Mine was as straight as you could get. The fit and finish were flawless. It was not that sharp, but very toothy. I haven't used it much, but it does it's job. It should really come alive when I put it on the stones. I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

Cheers,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Not to derail this thread but do you have any pictures of said knife, I've only seen their stainless gyuto's.
    i dont have any on hand but when she brings her stuff home for the weekend i can snap a few pics
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    i dont have any on hand but when she brings her stuff home for the weekend i can snap a few pics
    Thanks, I would appreciate that.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I know you can get yoshihiro knives thru an ebay seller as well as JKI. The ebay seller does list some things that Jon doesn't currently carry.

http://stores.ebay.com/yoshihirocutlery

this is where i bought mine from
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Actually I spoke with the seller recently, and the steel their using in their carbon yo and wa gyutos at the moment is white #1. Atleast anything they refer to "hagane" or "virgin carbon".

Interesting. I asked them when I bought my gyuto, and at the time they wouldn't tell me.

Are the knives the ebay sellers has the same as the knives Jon sells?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

i asked the seller a whole bunch of questions actually because i wanted to know the spine measurements, weight, and height of several of the carbons. he responded to every single question promptly. i sent him messages through my ebay account, maybe thats why my replys were soo timely. anyhow that kourochi 240 blue steel is $154, the cleaver they have listed is white #2 for $150ish and $150-160 for white #1 yo gyutos 240mm all seem like killer deals.