Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoshihiro anyone ?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.

Yoshihiro anyone ?

Anybody got an opinion on Yoshihiro in general. What I'm looking at is a white steel yanagi. Great price but need some feedback. JKI carries some but I rarely hear anyone speak about them(but then again I'm fairly new to being addicted this bad)

I have a Yoshihiro 270mm White 2 yanagi. Its a solid performing knife. Good fit and finish. Takes an edge quickly. For that price range, I don't think you'll find one better.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...1cm?highlight=

I think plenty here thinks it must be expensive to work well.
    Maybe if you think so, it actually somehow influences the happiness you have from working with cutlery.

From what I can tell you, if you dont choose the cheapest from ebay, which is a gamble, the one from Jon should totally satisfy you. Unfortunately, if you dont sharpen, ask him to add sharpening service of the knife to the total cost, as it comes arse-dull when new.

Totally worth the price though.

I've been quite satisfied with the Yoshihiro stainless 240 mm gyuto I recently acquired. I've inspected a number of other Yoshihiro knives and found them to be consistently well ground and finished for the price.

tk59 when you received the knives were they sharp? The post linked makes me worry that I'm about to recieve a dull knife.

if its ok for me to comment, i will say the ootb edges are so-so on the double bevels and slightly less on the single bevels (as is often the case with single bevel knives)

I had Jon order me a lefty version 270 white #2. Out of the box like Jon said is OK but no where near what it is possible of. I took mine to the stone before I used it as Jon had suggested and yeah this thing get SHARP. Without a whole lot of effort either. Fit and finish are really good to. Easily worth the price.

I would agree great bang for buck here. I have the 270 stainless gyuto. Takes a great edge not as keen as carbon but better than most stainless and it holds it well. I'm very happy with mine.

my wife has a 240 yoshi white 2 gyuto. its a nice knife but as jon pointed out, the OOTB edge was a little sub par. now that ive thinned it a little its a wonderful knife.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

I have a Yoshihiro shironi deba from Jon, sharpens up really nicely, definitely a good knife for the price. You may want to look at the Suisin shironi line as well, fit and finsh is excellent, mine was usably sharp out of the box, excellent value in my opinion; Suisin shironi yanagiba will probably be one of my next knives.