Yoshihiro anyone ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
Anybody got an opinion on Yoshihiro in general. What I'm looking at is a white steel yanagi. Great price but need some feedback. JKI carries some but I rarely hear anyone speak about them(but then again I'm fairly new to being addicted this bad)

I have a Yoshihiro 270mm White 2 yanagi. Its a solid performing knife. Good fit and finish. Takes an edge quickly. For that price range, I don't think you'll find one better.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/5232-Yoshihiro-Honkasumi-Deba-21cm?highlight=

I think plenty here thinks it must be expensive to work well.
Maybe if you think so, it actually somehow influences the happiness you have from working with cutlery.

From what I can tell you, if you dont choose the cheapest from ebay, which is a gamble, the one from Jon should totally satisfy you. Unfortunately, if you dont sharpen, ask him to add sharpening service of the knife to the total cost, as it comes arse-dull when new.

Totally worth the price though.

I've been quite satisfied with the Yoshihiro stainless 240 mm gyuto I recently acquired. I've inspected a number of other Yoshihiro knives and found them to be consistently well ground and finished for the price.

tk59 when you received the knives were they sharp? The post linked makes me worry that I'm about to recieve a dull knife.

if its ok for me to comment, i will say the ootb edges are so-so on the double bevels and slightly less on the single bevels (as is often the case with single bevel knives)

I had Jon order me a lefty version 270 white #2. Out of the box like Jon said is OK but no where near what it is possible of. I took mine to the stone before I used it as Jon had suggested and yeah this thing get SHARP. Without a whole lot of effort either. Fit and finish are really good to. Easily worth the price.

I would agree great bang for buck here. I have the 270 stainless gyuto. Takes a great edge not as keen as carbon but better than most stainless and it holds it well. I'm very happy with mine.

my wife has a 240 yoshi white 2 gyuto. its a nice knife but as jon pointed out, the OOTB edge was a little sub par. now that ive thinned it a little its a wonderful knife.

I have a Yoshihiro shironi deba from Jon, sharpens up really nicely, definitely a good knife for the price. You may want to look at the Suisin shironi line as well, fit and finsh is excellent, mine was usably sharp out of the box, excellent value in my opinion; Suisin shironi yanagiba will probably be one of my next knives.

my wife has a 240 yoshi white 2 gyuto. its a nice knife but as jon pointed out, the OOTB edge was a little sub par. now that ive thinned it a little its a wonderful knife.

Not to derail this thread but do you have any pictures of said knife, I've only seen their stainless gyuto's.

I have a Yoshihiro 270mm White 2 yanagi. Its a solid performing knife. Good fit and finish. Takes an edge quickly. For that price range, I don't think you'll find one better.

I've got a Yoshihiro White #2 yanagi, as well, with the shitan handle (dark) and a maple saya. I was warned that they're a bargain, but to watch out for blades that are twisted or bent slightly. Mine was as straight as you could get. The fit and finish were flawless. It was not that sharp, but very toothy. I haven't used it much, but it does it's job. It should really come alive when I put it on the stones. I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

Cheers,

Jack

I know you can get yoshihiro knives thru an ebay seller as well as JKI. The ebay seller does list some things that Jon doesn't currently carry.

Actually I spoke with the seller recently, and the steel their using in their carbon yo and wa gyutos at the moment is white #1. Atleast anything they refer to "hagane" or "virgin carbon".

Interesting. I asked them when I bought my gyuto, and at the time they wouldn't tell me.

Are the knives the ebay sellers has the same as the knives Jon sells?

i asked the seller a whole bunch of questions actually because i wanted to know the spine measurements, weight, and height of several of the carbons. he responded to every single question promptly. i sent him messages through my ebay account, maybe thats why my replys were soo timely. anyhow that kourochi 240 blue steel is $154, the cleaver they have listed is white #2 for $150ish and $150-160 for white #1 yo gyutos 240mm all seem like killer deals.

i was pretty sure that the email (which i cannot find) said that the specific knife i bought was white 2. makes me kinda wonder what is going on there. it is the 'hagane' 240mm gyuto

i found the email through all the garbage in my inbox and saved stuff (need to clean it up big time) and it is the hagane so i guess i have the white 1 version.

I would prefer to say the single bevel came with some level of dullness, not sharpness.

Depends on how to look at it of course, but I wouldnt cut anything with the edge that came on the knife. But it can get very good edge and hold it very very well.

Thanks everyone for all the Yoshihiro advice. I thought I wanted a yanagiba, but went with a takohiki instead. I found an absolute steal on a 300mm on amazon for $180.
img3780a.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img3782lb.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img3781q.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
First time posting pics-I hope it works.
There are some issues with F&F on the blade( the handle and saya are great though)-especially on the uraoshi- Mostly cosmetic, and I'm rough on my knives at work so it doesn't bother me. Not really sharp OOTB but I worked it minimally on a 4k stone, now it cuts amazingly. I also didn't know which color ferrule I would get, and am happy to get my first white. Maybe I'll do a true review later after I use and abuse the hell out of it.

Last edited:
congrats

takobiki has straight edge, I think it is easier to sharpen when yanagi )

Latest posts

Back