Edge Protectors

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabloz

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was just wondering if anyone out there knows where to get disposable edge protectors in volume. Needed for sharpening service when returning the knive to owner.

THANK YOU,
PZ

Hmm wonder if some cheap flexible tubing would work. The stuff like at home depot in the sink area. Im pretty sure you could pick up some 1/2' or somethign fairly cheap.

I just use a piece of cardboard folded in half and taped onto the blade.

Pabloz, a while ago I made a few dozen for a knife maker in my area out of thin Kydex. It doesn't take dong, its easy and if you have a good source, its inexpensive if you have the time to spend on it.

Bishopmaker & Michael,

I'll give it a try. That could also be reusable.

Tinh,
THANKS.....thats sort of what I'm doing now but when doing 40-50 blades a day that extra couple of minutes to cut, fold & tape takes it's toll. I was hoping to find some pre-folded or even better some sleeves that were pre-made so I have to do is cut it and tape. I also use the foam core mount board that I get as scrap from framing shops. I'm just trying to find something FASTER.
PZ

You might check an office supply house.

...40-50 blades a day that extra couple of minutes to cut, fold & tape takes it's toll...
Holy crap! Yeah. I wouldn't want to have to cut that may out either.

I got something like this from a local saw blade sharpening guy and they work great for flat blades but anything w/a "belly" the tip sticks out.

EdgeProtector.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the Dexter Edge Guards, they are like Kydex and lined with a thin material kinda like felt. All sizes from 4" to 12", some 1" wide, others 2" wide. They are like $2 or $3 each. Call up Dexter and see what they can do in bulk orders.

I get the Dexter Edge Guards, they are like Kydex and lined with a thin material kinda like felt. All sizes from 4" to 12", some 1" wide, others 2" wide. They are like $2 or $3 each. Call up Dexter and see what they can do in bulk orders.

http://schweppeinc.com/products/kitchen-essentials/cutlery?f_set=964

Taz,

You from the "Chama 575"???

Found these. I'm guessing they are the ones you are talking about. They look like they would be great for the repeaters (pro users).....if they would remember to bring them...not so much for the one timers. I'll call Dexter/Russell tomorrow. I'd still like something that is that simple and easy to put over the edge just 1/10 the cost.

Have any of y'all ever gotten that hard waxy stuff on your knife some guys dip the blade in after a sharpen??? If so what do you think about it.

Whats Chama 575??? Taz is one of my nicknames since I was a hammer thrower in High School and College and spun stupidly fast. The 575 is from when I threw 57'5" at Nationals in HS and took 12th in the country :)

Yup, those are the Dexters! They work really well, too. What about a couple layers of blue painters tape? Or tape a section of a manilla folder folded over the edge. When I buy blanks, they are usually just in thin sleeves of manilla folder type material stapled with one end and the edge stapled shut, seems to work OK!

Whats Chama 575??? Taz is one of my nicknames since I was a hammer thrower in High School and College and spun stupidly fast. The 575 is from when I threw 57'5" at Nationals in HS and took 12th in the country :)

Yup, those are the Dexters! They work really well, too. What about a couple layers of blue painters tape? Or tape a section of a manilla folder folded over the edge. When I buy blanks, they are usually just in thin sleeves of manilla folder type material stapled with one end and the edge stapled shut, seems to work OK!

The "homies" here in NM are either 505 or 575 because of the area code.....

GEEZ 57'5"...you must be one big dude.

Right now I scavange everything I can, manilla folders, cerial boxes, mat board, foam core. scrap leather, etc. I was hoping someone out there knew where to get something like this stuff. Pre-formed cardboard sleeve....just cut to length and tape.

PaperSleeve.jpg

Just got this piece from some planer blades. This would be a big time saver.

Ah, gotcha! Yeah, it was 57'5" for the 25# weight throw in HS. I got up to 181' 7" with the 16# hammer throw in college, around 215' or so with the 12# hammer when I was training with it in college for speed drills. I was 255# back then, now I'm around 300# :( Working 3rd and drinking soda packs on the pounds :(

What about the High Density foam boards at craft stores? Cut them down and just slide the blade into the foam and tape the handle to the foam??

http://www.joann.com/heavy-duty-foam-slab-1-x-24-x-90-/zprd_11178092a/

Well I've spent about an hour or two looking for ya and pretty much striking out. The closest and best thing I found was this:
http://www.kitchenworksinc.com/Cutlery/Knife-Guards.aspx
Tack on $3 for each of you customers and your covered. Contact them and maybe yo can even find out how to put your own custom logo on them. I'm sure a bulk order would drive price down. Other than a Google search, I know nothing about this item/company.

-AJ

i know you said doing 50 knives a day can take its toll and completely understand. im sure it gets tedious. the most i do is like 10 in one day

when i sharpen for chefs around my city, i make them out of newspaper and moving tape. i normally find that they still have them from the last time they had their knives to me.

if i have a lot of knives i can write on them to help me remember whose they belong to and where i need to deliver them to.

i just use a crappy local newspaper here that is about foodies, fake chefs and blah blah blah. anyway, i just put the spine of the knife in the crease after i remove the staples and fold the paper around the knife for a rough outline estimate. then i remove the knife, cut out the outline with my tojiro shears, put it back on the knife and start taping around it until it fits snugly.

it costs like three cents to make and although it may look junky, its kinda my thing.

@tk-i heard cardboard contains rougher material bits that can scratch surfaces of knives so i haven't tried it.

Paul, would you be interested in printing your own on cardstock or something like that? If so I have a couple of PDF files that the pro sharpeners use that you can plug in your info or change it around to suit your needs. The important thing is that it's all set up with margins and all that crap, you just print and glue stick it together, maybe cut for smaller sizes too. Let me know.

...@tk-i heard cardboard contains rougher material bits that can scratch surfaces of knives so i haven't tried it.
I know what you mean. Nevertheless, I've been doing it that way for a couple of years now and I haven't seen any scratches from them.

I know what you mean. Nevertheless, I've been doing it that way for a couple of years now and I haven't seen any scratches from them.

Can't be any worse than my 65+ HRC knuckles right?

Paul, would you be interested in printing your own on cardstock or something like that? If so I have a couple of PDF files that the pro sharpeners use that you can plug in your info or change it around to suit your needs. The important thing is that it's all set up with margins and all that crap, you just print and glue stick it together, maybe cut for smaller sizes too. Let me know.

Dave,
Thank you for your most gracious offer. YES PLEASE.

PZ

ALSO please allow me to clarify.....I MIGHT sharpen 40-50 on a really backed up day. Might happen a couple of times a month and wrapping the blades just always makes my already ACHING, TIRED, SORE, arms mega worse. It's just the one part of the job I want to AVOID the most. It's probably more old age than anything else...you know..."if you're not a curmudgeon by 50 you haven't lived" syndrome.

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!!!!

PZ

Back