Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zakuri toys

Ive had the sturdy little double bevel boning knife for a couple weeks now and it may be my new favorite chicken knife.
    Its a hefty, stout little blade with a very functional profile. My first experience with blue #1 core steel: very easy to sharpen. Feels "hard" with good edge retention and is capable of holding a very finely toothed edge even after high polish and stropping. Tougher than white#1 and no sweat to go through joints and soft bone, or to come into contact with hard bone, but not a knife that i would use for anything close to or harder than chicken thigh and leg bones.

Yeah, but it's like a stealth honesuki. It looks more like a traditional petty, but some subtle features make it a good boning knife. I happen to like the angular, "killer triangle" look of a honesuki, but some find it a bit awkward or extreme; a knife like this might make a better alternative for some folks. It also is a very natural and comfortable slicer. This weekend I made a giant 2lb porterhouse and used the zakuri to take the cooked meet off the bone and slice into smaller pieces. It worked very well for that too.

Would I get punished dreaming of that zakuri as a cool steak knife?

If you busted that knife out a steakhouse, hopefully they'd give you the best steak in the house. That knife is sweet.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"