Quantcast
Corned beef part 2, the experiment
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corned beef part 2, the experiment

Corned beef part 2, the experiment

OK, tried the sous vide thing in the slow cooker this weekend. Cooked it for 15 hours at 165º

The flavor of the corned beef was the best I've ever tasted. But the texture was a little dense, more like pastrami.

This would be perfect for thin slicing for corned beef deli sandwiches, but for ¼ inch slices I think I'd prefer it a little less dense.

Next weekend I am going to try it on my simmer setting (190º+) at around 6 to 8 hours and see if that fixes the texture. Hopefully it will still have that same intense “vacuum-seal” flavor.

Here are some pics.

More pics and recipe here.

Thanks for the informative post and great photos. Hope your revised method turns out perfect.

Wonderful photos!

190 is close to the target temp for pulled pork, so if that is the texture that you are after that would work.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Looks excellent! Could you do this without a vacuum sealer?

Thanks again for sharing and as always amazing pictures. You have inspired me to not only convince the wife to buy a new camera (Canon T3i purchased last Black Friday) but also work on my overall picture taking skills.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by UCChemE05 View Post
    Looks excellent! Could you do this without a vacuum sealer?
    Yes, ziplock sells a vacuum bag that does not need a vacuum sealer, or you can use a regular ziplock bag and try to force as much air out.

Quote Originally Posted by sw2geeks View Post
    Yes, ziplock sells a vacuum bag that does not need a vacuum sealer, or you can use a regular ziplock bag and try to force as much air out.
    Hold the ziploc upright and then submerge it in a pot of water to push all the air up out of the bag before sealing it. Or use a straw to suck out as much air as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Hold the ziploc upright and then submerge it in a pot of water to push all the air up out of the bag before sealing it. Or use a straw to suck out as much air as you can.
    Really cool tips. Don't want to spring for a vacuum sealer right now with all my other purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Thanks again for sharing and as always amazing pictures. You have inspired me to not only convince the wife to buy a new camera (Canon T3i purchased last Black Friday) but also work on my overall picture taking skills.
    The T3i is a great camera, you should have fun with it. My wife has been great with both my camera a knife purchases.

+ Reply to Thread