Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacksmith/Knife making classes

Not relevant to the OP, but if anyone in the UK is interested, i have done this course and it was a really good introduction to making a knife.

http://owenbush.co.uk/events/bladesmithing-weekend/

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet, but Murray Carter does a few different courses:
    http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...ithing-courses

Forging and completion of a personal neck-knife = $2000 with Murray? Hmmm... I'll have to tell Dave his prices are a touch low I think...

Ouch.
    -M

New England School of Metalwork in Maine always has classes going on and they are posted on thier website. I have been to a few and they were really benneficial.

Thanks for all the great advice.

You should also look up some ABS guys in your neck of the woods. There are a few around that area. A shop visit is always a good first step. Mike O'Machearley is right up the road from you in Wilmington.

Ed Caffrey (Montana) teaches classes 1 on 1. I took his 3 day class and it helped me a lot. He will adjust his class to suit each individual.
    Great guy as well.
    Jim

Yup. Lots of good ABS schools around. I've never met Mike, but I do know Caffrey quite well and he is a great teacher.
    -M

Yeah...Can't go wrong with one on one instruction with an ABS MS! I will say that a shop visit will probably be your best bet, but classes are a good way also. I try to visit as many maker's as i can, the help has been invaluable! Mr. Rader, if i ever make it to your neck of the woods, i would love to stop by!

Ed Caffery has helped me a TON! I havn't had the chance to go and take lessons in person but the guidance he has given me over the past year or two has taught me sooo much! There are a lot of guys out there you can't go wrong with learning from!