Quantcast
Blacksmith/Knife making classes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blacksmith/Knife making classes

Ed was one of the first guys that I talked to when I started thinking about making knives back in 2005. He is a wealth of good info and a very decent chap to boot. His basic bladesmithing and basic damascus DVD's were among the first that I bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishopmaker View Post
    Ed Caffery has helped me a TON! I havn't had the chance to go and take lessons in person but the guidance he has given me over the past year or two has taught me sooo much! There are a lot of guys out there you can't go wrong with learning from!

Thanks Dave. Glad you checked in. Lots of guys here love your damascus that I'm using on our collaboration chef knives. That feather is quite popular!!! I checked your website yesterday and didn't see a Spring/Summer schedule up yet. Any news on that front? Are you planning on having Mike Vagnino come out to teach folder classes this Summer again? Those are fun too.

And, Davis, I am so busy with custom orders and my new company, Defiance Knives, that I can't even think of teaching right now.

Take care guys. -M

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Ed was one of the first guys that I talked to when I started thinking about making knives back in 2005. He is a wealth of good info and a very decent chap to boot. His basic bladesmithing and basic damascus DVD's were among the first that I bought.
    I'll second that. I have taken a 3 day course with Ed and it was worth every cent. He is also a great guy that holds no secrets. Became great friends with him as well.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Not relevant to the OP, but if anyone in the UK is interested, i have done this course and it was a really good introduction to making a knife.

http://owenbush.co.uk/events/bladesmithing-weekend/
    Owen's shop featuring on TV (BBC Four) now, showing forging technique in a program called "Metal: How it Works".

The ABS classes are hard to beat.
    Having said that, I payed MS Smith Jim Crowell for a 5 day one o one class for about the same money. Check with known local makes near you, most are open to this arraingment.

God Bless
    Mike

I wonder how many people attend Murray Carter's classes. If I could get people to pay that much for anything I do, the girls at Peppermint Rhinoceros would be jubilant.
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?