Quantcast
What size pin stock for Tojiro ITK rehandle? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What size pin stock for Tojiro ITK rehandle?

That is some wicked looking black ash. Have fun.

Ironwood, Maple, Black Ash...in that order.

Good luck! Post pics when you're finished.

That is a mighty fine piece of ash you got there, bit my vote is for the gidgee.

Managed to get a bit done on this tonight, had problems getting hold of the right sized drill to countersink for the cutlers rivets, will post up pics tomorrow.

The counter sink is the tricky part with cutlers rivets. I finally broke down and bought a dedicated tool for it.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Nice WIP.

Thinking about doing the same to my ITK bread.

Aaaaah, where the belt finish from the blade extends to the tang, it's slightly rounded and no longer flat. This explains the gaps I had on the stock handle, and the F+F issues people noted in another thread. Guess I'll just use a bit of glue and sawdust to seal it.
    Is this where a slightly compressible liner would even it out?

A liner may work, or use some JB Quik Weld (it dries a dark grey, thick stuff, not runny) to fill in the gap there. Of you are going to use an epoxy and sawdust, let it start to set up a bit before you use it so it's not as runny, depending on the type of epoxy you are using. Some can be runny, others can be nice and thick to fill the gap.

My first rehandle attempt

I would like to preface this by saying, I am not trying to hijack the thread and I hope that it is ok to post these here. I am by no means trying to drum up business or anything of the sort. I just thought others would like to see what is, at least, possible

I have never worked with wood or metal before but when I first received my Tojiro ITK bread knife, the first thing I thought was that it needed new scales.

I don't have any before and after photos... just the after. I am sure enough people here have seen the knife to know what it looks like stock. I purchased some black and white ivory from Mark @ Burl Source and bought a rod of mosaic pin off of eBay.

Please be gentle with me, like I said I have never even considered attempting something like this before. I know some don't like the mosaic pin look but I thought with this color wood, it would bring everything out more. Critiques and questions are welcomed. I know better photos can be taken as well.

I really like it. Great job.