Quantcast
What gift to get for a friend starting culinary school? (Non-knife related)
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What gift to get for a friend starting culinary school? (Non-knife related)

What gift to get for a friend starting culinary school? (Non-knife related)

I'm just a home cook, so i'm not sure what is an essential tool a chef or culinary student would need.

Would like to get something non-knife related. So what's something that you can't live without and probably wished you had gotten it earlier in your cooking career?

Specific cookbook? Special spoon? Thermometer? Cooking tweezers? Sharpening stones?

A nice slotted flexible "fish" spatula with a thin edge. Like Lamson sharp or Wusthof.

Looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by clayton View Post
    A nice slotted flexible "fish" spatula with a thin edge. Like Lamson sharp or Wusthof.

Looks like this:

Thought the same thing Gray Kunz has the Sveico one. Amazon sells it.

thermapen (though I'm not sure if instructors may not like this being used all the time), maybe a set of microplanes, gray kunz spoons

I guess it depends on the school to some degree. Based on my experience the last 4 years:

Thermopen thermometer. Not the fold out kind (though those are awesome) but one you can wear in your sleeve.

Extra hats and aprons (seriously).

A good vegetable peeler.

That's about all I can think of. Maybe a backpack.

-AJ

To me a great gift is something I'd like to have but probably wouldn't buy for myself. A set of Gray Kunz spoons fits that description.

Oh, and a fair number of my classmates carried this around everywhere they went:

Food Lover's Companion

They have holsters for the folding thermapens, you know!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    To me a great gift is something I'd like to have but probably wouldn't buy for myself. A set of Gray Kunz spoons fits that description.
    The large. I have both, but the large are the way to go. The small I could use in a giveaway and wouldn't miss them. Just bought them to meet the minimum order requirement.

Would also be cool to buy them gift certificates or just take them out to a few fine dining restaurants to check out the food and the whole process. Maybe find some good ones with an open kitchen and they would probably appreciate that.