What kind of weird things / combos do you eat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
I'm the type of person that can just grab a bowl and fill it with anything available and eat it. I love crumbling potato chips into my bowl of rice+food, especially curry. I will happily throw a fried egg into any bowl of food that I have. I just ran to the kitchen to make a quick snack and am currently eating a hamburger bun with a slice of melted processed cheese, smoked salmon, and potato chips. I wish I had some sliced chili's in there but I was too lazy to open the jar and slice them.

The other day I was enjoying durian with steamed rice. This is a different category as its actually normal where my family is from, but it was weird as hell to other people (even to the people who also like durian). I also love vanilla ice cream topped with creamed corn. My family ate this growing up and I thought it was completely normal until I whipped it out during a poker homegame and people looked at me in horror.

My favorite foods are things that are not totaly stonerific combos, but just a little off the expected.

When I was a kid, I was dared to eat milk chocolate and buttered, salted popcorn together at a party, and it was great. I love Dark Chocolate and crisp filtered water. Pizza with pecans on it. Raw Cacao beans are a newly discovered favorite. Lime juice and salsa on Cantonese fried rice. Avocados with a scoop of ice cream in the middle topped with cinnamon sugar. Pasta with caramelized onions, pecans, and olive oil. Bourbon in a chocolate malt. Mustard in a grilled cheese. Red wine in bolognese. Orange juice in Tomato soup. Roasted Corn with chili powder, lime and salt. The list goes on...I will try anything really and have found some excellent things as a result.

Creamed corn and ice cream would go into stonerific category. I had a friend that, despite being thin and not a pothead, ate the STRANGEST things...yet upon trying them, you could not deny they were fantastic. Peanut Butter & Marshmallow Puff sandwiches(I hate both of those things, but it was likeable together). His idea of cookies was to take a tube of nestle cookie dough, mash it on a sheet pan, bake it for 1/2 the recommended time, then scrape it into a bowl with ice cream. The best of all: Grilled Cheese and Maple Syrup.

Oh yeah, and protip: These clovers, the ones that grow in your yard, taste just like green apple skins.

clover.JPG

I grew up with a kid that used to eat the clovers from my lawn. I always figured he was a bit.. slow. Perhaps he was on to something.

pimento cheese on vanilla wafers :tongue2: might go good with beer float!!

I like to dip Tims Jalapeno chips into sour cream and ketchup alternatively. I like to dip cornichons into yellow mustard and eat them with a nice slice of blue cheese. I like to dip my spring rolls into jalapeno hushpuppy batter and deepfry them. I like to put salt on my green apples. I like to mix my rum with blueberry juice. DOn't get me started guys, I've been on the weird train since I was a little kid.

I like to dip Tims Jalapeno chips into sour cream and ketchup alternatively. I like to dip cornichons into yellow mustard and eat them with a nice slice of blue cheese. I like to dip my spring rolls into jalapeno hushpuppy batter and deepfry them. I like to put salt on my green apples. I like to mix my rum with blueberry juice. DOn't get me started guys, I've been on the weird train since I was a little kid.

More! I live for this stuff.

I remember when I was a kid, I was eating anything int he house. I ate some Laura Scudders chunky peanut butter, then, without "cleansing the palate" I ate a cherry flavored ice-pop(the kind in the plastic tubes that cut up the sides of your mouth). The combo resulted in the ice pop tasting exactly like a real apple. I was so confused, then impressed.

I'm not sure I consider too much weird anymore for food combinations. That being said, the only thing that really comes to mind when thinking of what I used to do when I was younger was: peanut butter and jelly sandwich stuffed with bbq chips, washed down with a coke.

Salt & vinegar chips in a tuna sandwich.

My brother would eat white rice and hunts ketchup. Said it tastes just like artichokes. It does.

:plus1::plus1::plus1:

Häagen-Dazs Five coffee ice cream and Guinness Extra Stout!
:beer:

Are you guys serious or just trying to make me waste a beer and ice cream? If srs, I will try! I love rootbeer floats....never even thought of taking out the root.

It dominates the whole concept of a root beer float. It's what a root beer float wants to be when it grows up.

Are you guys serious or just trying to make me waste a beer and ice cream? If srs, I will try! I love rootbeer floats....never even thought of taking out the root.

It definitely is real. It is seved at the Milwaukee Market as one of their specialty drinks.

As I read through these posts I am just wondering what these strange proclivities suggest about your sex lives...

The other day I was enjoying durian with steamed rice. This is a different category as its actually normal where my family is from, but it was weird as hell to other people (even to the people who also like durian). I also love vanilla ice cream topped with creamed corn. My family ate this growing up and I thought it was completely normal until I whipped it out during a poker homegame and people looked at me in horror.

Dude u from Singapore or thereabouts? Strangely similar taste we have..

Please Mel... don't malign a whole country in one short sentence. Ugh. Creamed corn doesn't even belong on my shaved ice dessert, much less ice cream. And Durians taste perfectly fine without rice. Though I've heard this one before. :p

I think most of these weird tastes arise from childhood curiosity and not knowing better. I spend 2 months putting condensed milk on everything, and another 2 putting whipped cream on every food surface. Trail mix, whipped cream, soda crackers and strawberry jam was a favorite.

Every single off the shelf chocolate confection into budget vanilla ice cream.

These days experimentation is more savory than sweet.
Peanut butter on the base of a burger was really awesome. Vegemite and mango chutney with a burger was also quite good.

From malaysia! Durian and rice doesn't even seem weird to me though. When I eat durian, its a meal. It literally replaces my dinner, so it seems odd to just eat durian so add some rice to round it out!

My brother would eat white rice and hunts ketchup. Said it tastes just like artichokes. It does.

Fried ketchup rice was one of the only dishes my dad could cook. I remembered enjoying it.

My favorite foods are things that are not totaly stonerific combos, but just a little off the expected.

When I was a kid, I was dared to eat milk chocolate and buttered, salted popcorn together at a party, and it was great. I love Dark Chocolate and crisp filtered water. Pizza with pecans on it. Raw Cacao beans are a newly discovered favorite. Lime juice and salsa on Cantonese fried rice. Avocados with a scoop of ice cream in the middle topped with cinnamon sugar. Pasta with caramelized onions, pecans, and olive oil. Bourbon in a chocolate malt. Mustard in a grilled cheese. Red wine in bolognese. Orange juice in Tomato soup. Roasted Corn with chili powder, lime and salt. The list goes on...I will try anything really and have found some excellent things as a result.

Creamed corn and ice cream would go into stonerific category. I had a friend that, despite being thin and not a pothead, ate the STRANGEST things...yet upon trying them, you could not deny they were fantastic. Peanut Butter & Marshmallow Puff sandwiches(I hate both of those things, but it was likeable together). His idea of cookies was to take a tube of nestle cookie dough, mash it on a sheet pan, bake it for 1/2 the recommended time, then scrape it into a bowl with ice cream. The best of all: Grilled Cheese and Maple Syrup.

Lime juice and some chillies which are grilled and seasoned with more lime juice and salt filled with cantonese fried rice is a favorite of mine, almost to good to be true.

I also used to eat plain white rice with soy sauce on it. Just like 2 cups worth, in a bowl, I'd sit down and watch 3rd Rock From the Sun. Not that weird, but I've never seen anyone else just whip up a snack of white rice and soy sauce.

My brother's kids, age 10 and 8 have eaten white rice that way since they were able to express a preference.
I also used to eat plain white rice with soy sauce on it. Just like 2 cups worth, in a bowl, I'd sit down and watch 3rd Rock From the Sun. Not that weird, but I've never seen anyone else just whip up a snack of white rice and soy sauce.

Back