Gift for my GF

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
So I bought this for my GF

6834329274_8818149e43_z.jpg

Unsure about handle, but might go for Musk Ox with a nickel ferrule or pure white Mammoth tusk.
Im really not sure what to do. Darkhoek will do the handle on this one.

Lets see if we can post a pic within this month :)

And yes its a small Gyuto :)

Pink ivory and White Mammoth or Elefant ivory sexy :D

Nice Oivind (assuming this is really for her and not just a clever way to get around your promise not to buy any more knives this year). ;)

Devin's damascus? Who is the maker, Marko?

Small as in 180mm? Hmm, ivory ferrule and some redish wood maybe? But if you want to make this knife 100% bubblegum you should go with maksims pink suggestion. :)

Hella good looking blade and im sure it will turn out great when it's done.

Nice Oivind (assuming this is really for her and not just a clever way to get around your promise not to buy any more knives this year). ;)

Devin's damascus? Who is the maker, Marko?

I think you are on to something. The girlfriend is getting a lot of knives this year:biggrin:

First a Chanel bag...now a damascus gyuto. MUST be love!

Too bad you are in Norway! I live right near a handle supply house (they supply Boker, Bark River, etc) and they have all sorts of handle materials. Stabilized woods and bones, synthetic stuff, etc and I can handpick the pieces I want, get custom sizes of stuff cut off their slabs, etc. Great people! I spend over 1 hour in there each visit usually and spend almost $200 a trip.

If you want to do something cool, make up your own Micarta type material. Most people use Bondo (Fiberglass Epoxy Resin and Hardener, boat building stuff like West System or MAS Epoxies works even better) and fabrics. You could do up different colors layered up so when it's shaped, it will have the different colors come out to the surface. It's pretty simple to do and you could use her favorite colors. I started playing with this from watching the YouTube videos and some online tutorials. I have a batch hardening currently in Peas and Carrots Camo: Kelly Green and Brown Denims, Khaki bottomweight, dark green cotton linen and blaze orange linen, with 4 layers of blaze orange linen on the bottom to act as a liner. Just remember that the fabric will darken when it gets wet, so wet the fabric with water first to see how it's gonna change colors. 100% Cotton fabrics and denims work best, and I got some cotton yard to play with, gonna try to do a mammoth ivory imitation!

First batch of Peas and Carrots Camo:
CamoGut.jpg

Thanks for info :)

Personally Im no fan of Micarta. I also have a lot of personal references.
The material must not come from illegal activity like poaching or illegal hunting.
Im scrolling up and down Marks site (Burl Source) but might go for horn. I have 4 BB in the making with Musk Ox handles (one piece handles), so I might end up with musk ox on this as well. Will talk with Darkhoek about this when he comes home :)

This year will bring a lot of knives (ordered and payed in 2010-2011) :)

Preview:
6937377846_4ef48c1ce1_b.jpg

Woot!

DT physics:
Lenght along edge 208 mm
Length bolster to tip 220 mm
Height @ heel 43.5 mm
Thickness of spine @ heel 2.0 mm
Thickness of spine @ mid length 1.7 mm
Thickness of spine @ 1" from tip 0.8 mm
Weight of blade alone 100 grammes

Is it just me or is that a really skinny handle?

Maybe she has small hands. It looks to me about 20-22 mm tall. Should be okay.

Nice Materials! Are you sure you want to give that to her? Maybe just tell her that you we thinking of her when you had it made and it for her to use.

I think this will be a normal handle. She got smaller hands than me, but still this will be normal sized handle :)
I must admit it might look skinny on the pic. Some of the colors in the ferrule does match the musk ox colors, so I think it will be awesome.

I haven't seen a wa musk ox handle before, so I think this will be interesting for all of us :)
However the blade by DT is amazing, the bubble wrap is almost identical on both sides. Hope the handle justify the blade, and that its not over the top. Damn Ive spent many hours discussing the handle with my friend .)

Spyshot! Last pic in this thread. Gonna get a real camera and do a review of this one!
First time I ever so a one piece wa musk ox horn handle. Insane skills of Harald on this one!

6985770122_56821dc4bf_b.jpg

The knife is now finished, dropping by Harald later tonight to pick it up. Damn this knife will be awesome :)

Nice! What is the spacer?

Stefan

Back