Quantcast
Decisions decisions! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decisions decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    For a home chef 270 is enormous!
    Enormously awesome.

LOL! I would have to agree. The 270 is my go to knife, and i am a home cook also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

The ITK line isn't damascus, but monosteel AEB-L. Are you planning to order a custom damascus knife from Devin? If so, he'll make any size you want, no need to feel you have to get a 270. Devin also makes a great PM steel core san mai. Check out The Epicurean Edge: http://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayp...homas%2C+Devin

If you're going the custom route, don't overlook the other custom makers on the forum: Pierre Rodrigue, Michael Rader, Bill Burke, Will Catchside, Del Ealy, Mike Davis, Randy Haas, Marko Tsourkan and our host, Dave Martell.

Rick
    I just meant basically i wanted to try it out ITK style to determine if its truly for me, then perhaps consider a custom knife from him. I will for sure consider your tips , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    For a home chef 270 is enormous!
    Personally Im more like 225, my GF is even smaller size like 180-200

You will end up with something special, however your wallet will decide what you will buy
    hopefully so! i ended up going to a shop today and looked at some takedas including a 270 GYUTO and WOW are they ever light... im only 5 5 so a 270 @ home will be very ninja like!

Talal's had a good day today ... warm weather, lots of sunshine, chance to hold and feel a number of Takedas and DT's...

I don't know if it makes it any easier to make the decision, but at least I think he's got much better information on which to make his decision
    Len

Thanks to echerub's kindness my decision was a bit easier today. I finally settled on the DT Wa Gyuto. Takeda is locally available so i can easily experiment with them later

Thank you all once again for you input

If you haven't already, you should stop by Tosho knife arts when you have the chance. They have some pretty good stuff there. Mostly Konosuke and Takeda but there's some other surprises as well.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    If you haven't already, you should stop by Tosho knife arts when you have the chance. They have some pretty good stuff there. Mostly Konosuke and Takeda but there's some other surprises as well.
    oh i have its a great shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Talal View Post
    I just meant basically i wanted to try it out ITK style to determine if its truly for me, then perhaps consider a custom knife from him. I will for sure consider your tips , thanks

hopefully so! i ended up going to a shop today and looked at some takedas including a 270 GYUTO and WOW are they ever light... im only 5 5 so a 270 @ home will be very ninja like!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    A new place just opened up on Queen West this summer too. Cunningly named Knife Toronto.

http://knifetoronto.com/

I've never been, but I assume they have a bunch of stuff you could play with to help make a decision. (I realize this is too late)

Talal told me he dropped by both Knife and Tosho - he doesn't let anything get by him in his quest for a new knife
    Len

There is actually another new knife store in Toronto. Haven't been to this one but it does not focus on Japanese knives. http://www.blogto.com/design/hacher-and-krain-toronto

BTW knifetoronto offers a beginner sharpening class free of charge. its not much of a class, more of an informal Q&A where the owner sharpens a knife, gives a few tips, and answers any and all questions you have. Its worth a visit. Email or facebook them to get in on a class.

+ Reply to Thread