Quantcast
Decisions decisions! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Decisions decisions!

  1. #21
    Senior Member Talal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Talal told me he dropped by both Knife and Tosho - he doesn't let anything get by him in his quest for a new knife
    Right you are sir!

    Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    There is actually another new knife store in Toronto. Haven't been to this one but it does not focus on Japanese knives. http://www.blogto.com/design/hacher-and-krain-toronto

    BTW knifetoronto offers a beginner sharpening class free of charge. its not much of a class, more of an informal Q&A where the owner sharpens a knife, gives a few tips, and answers any and all questions you have. Its worth a visit. Email or facebook them to get in on a class.
    the hacher store looks fantastic.. looks like a visit is in order.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    695
    Get some pics if you see anything really cool!

  3. #23

    echerub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,635
    Hey, that's new to me. Wow, lots of knife stores in Toronto these days All those western-handled knives don't do anything for me, but I'm glad there's more choice in the city now
    Len

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Posts
    625
    Talal, welcome to the obsession from another guy in Ontario (Hamilton). I hope that you will enjoy your DT ITK 270. I had one and found the handle too big, although it is an otherwise incredible knife. FYI, I have a Takeda nakiri that I use like crazy at home.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Talal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Talal, welcome to the obsession from another guy in Ontario (Hamilton). I hope that you will enjoy your DT ITK 270. I had one and found the handle too big, although it is an otherwise incredible knife. FYI, I have a Takeda nakiri that I use like crazy at home.
    Takeda's nakiris look great i must say

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    There is actually another new knife store in Toronto. Haven't been to this one but it does not focus on Japanese knives. http://www.blogto.com/design/hacher-and-krain-toronto

    BTW knifetoronto offers a beginner sharpening class free of charge. its not much of a class, more of an informal Q&A where the owner sharpens a knife, gives a few tips, and answers any and all questions you have. Its worth a visit. Email or facebook them to get in on a class.
    Cool, it's right down the road from Nick's Shoe Repair, where I get custom leather shoes made! A visit to both will surely happen sometime in the future.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Talal View Post
    Takeda's nakiris look great i must say
    If you're thinking about getting one, drop me a line sometime and I can arrange a playdate with mine.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Talal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    If you're thinking about getting one, drop me a line sometime and I can arrange a playdate with mine.
    a very generous offer, i might take you up on that someday

    Thank you

  9. #29
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    9,285
    What's up with Toronto's knife scene? That's crazy

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    What's up with Toronto's knife scene? That's crazy

    It's gone from 0 to there's a couple of places you can buy decent stuff in the last 5 years.

    edit: That probably sounded negative, but it's actually pretty great. It would be better if there were a quality craftsman or two in the city, but just having decent stuff available is great. Knife will do sharpening too, which is awesome. I remember looking around before I got my stones a few years ago and finding the closest place to get proper sharpening done was in Montreal.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts