Quantcast
News from the shop - Page 13
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: News from the shop

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    Snakewood and ivory. Ooooh
    My eyes went to the same one. And then to all the mammoth tooth.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

As good as done with rubbing them against sand paper, applying finish right now. There is a bunch of pieces from blackwood that have bakelite or dyed wood and color coordinated pieces of mammoth tooth. Almost minimalistic but very classy iMHO. Yesterday I cleaned up my office and found 2 more handles I had buried under a pile of stuff. So, there should be around 25ish handles available very soon.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how many handles you have in the works at any one time!
    It is amazing. He's a machine

Took a friend to the airport this morning, so I was in the wood shop - which is half way between my place and the airport- at 6.30. Killed 3 pieces of stabilized kauri on the drill press, touched the drill to feel how hot it is (approx. 2nd degree burn hot...), and got into a coughing fit when drilling ebony after forgetting to put the respirator back on. Note to self: No woodworking before the second cup of coffee. I give up for now and go to Costco.

Stefan

NOOOOOO get back in there!!!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

But seriously, any updates? A certain person I know seems to have an interest.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I had the best intentions to work in the shop this morning, but after only a bit over 2h of sleep, I changed my mind this morning... But I still plan to spend time there this weekend, and hope to make some progress, I have about 35 handles ready for gluing and about 20 more that I am already working on. Now that my German friends left this morning, there will be more time for that again.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Stefan

How many of those handles are already spoken for?

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    How many of those handles are already spoken for?
    Ooops, almost missed this one. Including the ones on my website, I should have about 20 or so available shortly that are not spoken for, yet. I had hoped to have them done before I had friends out here, but that didn't work. They left again, and I am now getting back to finishing them. In addition to that, I have about 40 orders in different states of production plus about 25 'basic' handles that Dave will have available as replacement handles once they are done.

Sometimes it's frustrating because things move so slowly, but part of that is also that I usually work on batches. So when I finally get to that point, I usually have a few ready at the same time. If I did them sequentially, one after the other, it probably would be more rewarding but also take more time and be less efficient on my side. Maybe I'll mix that up a bit in the future.

Stefan