Quantcast
News from the shop - Page 6
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: News from the shop

OOOoohhhh man. I like top row 4th from left, and top row 3rd from the right. Love the spalted wood...
    - Sean

The pink one is bakelite, came out really nice. Sean, you are so predictable I thought about you the other day when I was looking at a beautiful piece of spalted maple burl.

Stefan

P.S. I probably should mention that two of them are available:

- top row the very right, blackwood, blask ash spacer and dyed teal box elder or maple ferrule (I think maple...), best for something around 200mm in length

- top row, 4th from the right, black ash burl and black palm ferrule for a knife around 180mm

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Sean, you are so predictable I thought about you the other day when I was looking at a beautiful piece of spalted maple burl.

Stefan
    I wouldn't want to disappoint!
    - Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Adagimp View Post
    Dang! So many beautiful handles, but that bright red/pink one in the 2nd photo is the attention grabber.
    that red/pink bakelite one is mine! woohoo! actually, it probably has a bit more of a darker red background to it in normal light - more like a ruby. the streaks are white - but it does transition through pink to get to white - can't wait to see it when it gets here. also, those spacers have a little bit of a blue-ish tint to them.

Beautiful!! I like the one on the far right, top row, with the green ferule, and I think maple spacer. What is the handle material?

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    Beautiful!! I like the one on the far right, top row, with the green ferule, and I think maple spacer. What is the handle material?
    Thanks Mike, the handle is just good old African blackwood. The spacer is black ash burl. The ferrule is either maple burl or box elder burl. I had shipped them both for dying at the same time and now I have a hard time telling them apart in such small pieces.
    I sent most of the handles out, didn't want to delay it further for taking better pictures, but IMHO they all look better in real life than on these snap shots, including the bakelite one...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    that red/pink bakelite one is mine! woohoo! actually, it probably has a bit more of a darker red background to it in normal light - more like a ruby. the streaks are white - but it does transition through pink to get to white - can't wait to see it when it gets here. also, those spacers have a little bit of a blue-ish tint to them.
    Lucky bastard. That one looks awesome. Take some more pictures when you get it. Lots of good work Stefan!

Here's a quick pic I snapped. In my opinion, this handle is ridiculous (in a good way). I think the flash might be emphasizing the swirls a little too much - it's not that all those swirls aren't there, but some of them are a little more under-the-surface - there's some 3D stuff goin on. On the other hand, the flash did pick up the mokume on the spacers and the awesome horn that stefan picked out for me (he did a better job than i could have ever imagined). Stefan deserves some major props - he's a real master at this kind of thing ... did I mention that I have a piece of blue bakelite, too?

**** you

Those are some seriously awesome materials and in usual stefan fashion, flawless execution. Where did you get the bakelite?

this red one i happened to get from exoticblanks.com - and i happened to get one blue from them, too. nowadays i rarely ever see them for sale there anymore - they're always 'sold out'. agh.
    BUT - i think stefan scored some bakelite as well (but probably not from the same source). i know he has some blue (which will probably be more manly than the above) - and he might have some red (my red from exoticblanks was a really dark ruby red - i don't know if stefan's red, if he has some, is as dark or if it's more fire-engine red)
    the mokume (not that you asked) is from M3 - it's 50% cobaltium and 50% galactic bronze/gunsmoke - but i asked them to NOT put in the "sparkles".
    the horn is predominantly a dark gray color ... from stefan ... who apparently has the most extensive collection of buffalo horn there is to be had ... anywhere ...