Thread: Website hacked and closed for now

Website hacked and closed for now

Hi, just in case anybody wants to look at things there: My www.japanesehandles.com website got hacked again and infected with all kinds of crap beyond my skills to clean it up. The host has shut it down and I will eventually have it cleaned up professionally when I have the cash for it and after I moved apartments. Probably have to bite the bullet and pay through the nose for better protection or look at a different host.

Thanks,

Stefan

That sucks. I can recommend namecheap as a good hosting provider.

No backups to restore from?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboScooter View Post
    No backups to restore from?
    Good point. I had their service repair it the last time and they should still have one, I did not even get to making one. Didn't make it a priority and there were just about enough weeks between repair and the next hack that it is not covered anymore and I am supposed to pay again...

Stefan

It looks like your site last got crawled by The Wayback Machine on 2-16-2015 - https://web.archive.org/web/20141217...sehandles.com/

I'm wondering if you can just spider the archived site yourself using something like HTTrack to get at least the content they have back. Poking around the archive, it looks like they're missing a bunch of the site, though, so I don't know how useful that would be anyway.

Is your host telling you what the point of entry is? Is it a Wordpress security hole, one of the Wordpress plugins, a weak admin password, or what?

I have not even talked to them, yet, will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for looking into this! It's an area that I categorized under "you can't know everything" and while I am reasonably careful, I am not as paranoid as obviously needed. Probably need to get a bit deeper into it if I want to maintain it securely.

Stefan

That's not good news, sorry to hear about this. Fortunately your handles also have a good online presence here at KKF in your sub forum which is still in the public domain, and most know where to find you