Quantcast
News from the shop - Page 20
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: News from the shop

O.k., moving is a much bigger pain in the a$$ than I remembered, I just hadn't realized how much stuff I have. So, over getting that organized, all my good hopes of finishing most of my orders in July have obviously been unrealistic again. But the move should be over this weekend, then it's back to the shop.

Stefan

Agreed, moving is a pita. Best of luck.

Note to self: Do not use your band saw to cut fossil materials. Especially not if you forgot to order extra blades and you are using your last one... Cut through some mammoth bone and some fossil coral and then the dang thing wouldn't even go through an inch of koa anymore. Oh well.

Stefan

What are you supposed to use?

Wish I knew... I had cut coral before and knew it was not good for the blade, but the mammoth bone gave it the rest. Have to look into this.

Stefan

I use a thin wheel on an angle grinder. Works just fine for straight cutting. VERY quick work!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Thanks Pierre, I used small wheels on the Foredom before, they work but they are not wide enough. Looks like I need an angle grinder...

Stefan

I cut gemstones, opal, petrified wood with a diamond blade cooled with water on a small lapidary trim saw. Blade lasts forever and would be perfect for ivory, bone, mammoth tooth etc.

Thanks Eric, I had been thinking about using gemstones and especially petrified wood, but my sanding belts didn't even scratch the material and I quickly realized that I would need a whole new set of specialized equipment. And since I did not want to turn into Jay Fisher, I decided to pass, there is only so much one can do with the little time available.

Stefan