Quantcast
News from the shop - Page 22
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: News from the shop

I live in Phoenix. So no snow here, but I do travel a lot. I usually make it to HI at least once a year. When that happens I would love to see your shop, and even help out for a day or two to get a "handle" on how it does down there.

Last year I offered a friend from Germany to fly him in, feed him, and give him a bed for helping me out for 2-3 weeks but he had just gotten a new job and couldn't come. If I still had my old apartment, I would offer that again, but I moved into a much smaller place. But I'd pay someone right now, just to get my stuff done. Not that I have a lot of cash around, still waiting to hear back from afee job applcations, but orders piling up annoys me enough to pay for help and get it done. I started making handles as a hobby and stress reduction, but always being behind has become a real stressor for me.

Stefan

It snowed here last night so I am about ready to jump on a plane.
    .........I wish.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

If I could ride my bike there.........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Woohoo, Spike is coming

I am teaching an undergrad class this semester as an adjunct faculty, maybe someone there needs a few bucks or maybe they have an info board for such things... It just would be nice to find someone who has seen a power tool close up before and doesn't sue me if they drop the hammer on their foot.

Stefan

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    It just would be nice to find someone who has seen a power tool close up before and doesn't sue me if they drop the hammer on their foot.

Stefan
    Finding even semi-qualified help is tough. Finding someone who is willing to get dirty is equally as tough. I know the problems you are having because all the small businesses I know of are having the sme problem including mine.

My wife and I considered going to Hawaii for our vacation this year until she decided to stay a little closer. It is the flight that she doesn't like. If I came to help in your shop she would strangle me as I slept. Women have no sense of humor about vacations.

As for the hammer issue, have them wear shoes with steel toes. I do and it has proven to be a foot and toe saver, several times!

Thanks David. It's even more difficult to find someone to help because work comes in waves. A few friends helped for a few hours, but it was clear that this was not their thing. Some forumites helped out a bit, but also not a set-up that worked out perfectly. And the kid (undergrad student) I hired once was clueless even though he took woodworking in high school (whatever that means), and he used to practice the one-armed brooming while texting with the other hand. We also did seem to have different opinions on work ethics... Oh well, I just gotta plow through it, I guess.

Oh, and if you do make it out here for a vacation, I promise not to make you work too hard But I gotta show you the shop and bother you with questions.

Stefan

Fought my way across town in rush hour traffic to the shop, only to realize I forgot my glasses. Wanted to do the finishing and final checks on a few handles today, better do that tomorrow when I see what I am doing.

Stefan

Have a friend in town who keeps me away from the shop and forces me to go to other places with her...

Attachment 15053

Stefan
    Last edited by Austin; 05-07-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Have a friend in town who keeps me away from the shop and forces me to go to other places with her...

Attachment 15053

Stefan

Ahhh....to have such a distraction.....

+ Reply to Thread