Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MADE IN THE U.S.A

Well, I think American car makers started seeing some success when they started designing their cars akin German and Japanese makers. Ford Fusion comes to mind - the first American car that caught my attention in years.

Same with knives. I think Sabaknife tries to carve a market for itself making unusual knives, while Shun is dominating the market making thin, light and easy to cut with (but not to sharpen) knives with pretty conventional profiles.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Old Hickory

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Warther.
    If I recall, Dave has a certain...uh, shall we say, opinion, on working with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Well, I think American car makers started seeing some success when they started designing their cars akin German and Japanese makers. Ford Fusion comes to mind - the first American car that caught my attention in years.
    Ford Fusion is pretty much the same car as the Mazda6. The Edge, the same as the CX7. Ford Escape - Mazda Tribute. Ford Fiesta - Mazda2. I think the Focus and the Mazda3 are a little different, but they may be the same. Ford/Mazda have a partnership where they use pretty much the same platform for their small cars. Maybe that's why they are the only American maker to not take a government bail out.

There is an i-Cut??? and they Trademarked it?

And $200 for a Saba knife... it is in the realm of the macbook air... give something an edge, that the mainstream would consider sharp, and make them adapt to its use to cut up things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Cutco is better.
    Not exactly what I would call a ringing endorsement.

The Fusion may have been designed in Germany. Remember that until the new model hit, we were still being sold the OLD Focus for a number of years after a new model had been introduced in Europe. Ford is just now getting to the point where they are using the common platforms for their US cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post

Same with knives. I think Sabaknife tries to carve a market for itself making unusual knives, while Shun is dominating the market making thin, light and easy to cut with (but not to sharpen) knives with pretty conventional profiles.

The Fiesta is a German car. If the Mazda 2 is the same platform, then they didn't design it. the Fiesta and Focus are the second best selling car in Germany and much of Europe in those size classes after the VW Polo and Golf.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    Ford Fusion is pretty much the same car as the Mazda6. The Edge, the same as the CX7. Ford Escape - Mazda Tribute. Ford Fiesta - Mazda2. I think the Focus and the Mazda3 are a little different, but they may be the same. Ford/Mazda have a partnership where they use pretty much the same platform for their small cars. Maybe that's why they are the only American maker to not take a government bail out.

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    This ended quite a while ago. Ford now owns less than 3% of Mazda. They still have a minor technology-sharing agreement, much like Daimler and Renault-Nissan currently have, but the new cars share almost no common parts. The current models from each maker (like the 3/Focus and 2/Fiesta) share aging platforms that were jointly developed when Ford still had a large stake in Mazda, but the engine, suspension and drivetrain components along with virtually all sheet metal, interiors and accessories are unique to each maker.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Whatever influence there is, Ford Fusion 2013 is one of the nicest cars to go in production Ford designed in years if not decades (but of course, taste is all subjective, and some will find Mercury Grand Marquis irresistible)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-ford-fusion-lead-opt.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	5340

I think same applies to knives and other things. Well designed and well performing knives will be more appealing to buyers than knives with claim to some higher degree of design (Chroma, Sabaknives, Shun Onion, etc) that most of us don't understand and seem to find flaws everywhere we look.

A good design is time-proof and that what I find most appealing.

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth it.

M

PS: I do like Ford 2010-2011 Fusion as well.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com