Quantcast
MADE IN THE U.S.A - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MADE IN THE U.S.A

The Mark VI Fiesta is based on a new Ford global platform introduced to the ROTW in 2008. The 2013 Fusion is a beefed up version of the new world car chassis shared with the ROTW Ford Mondeo and the Mazda CD3 sedans.
    Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    This ended quite a while ago. Ford now owns less than 3% of Mazda. They still have a minor technology-sharing agreement, much like Daimler and Renault-Nissan currently have, but the new cars share almost no common parts. The current models from each maker (like the 3/Focus and 2/Fiesta) share aging platforms that were jointly developed when Ford still had a large stake in Mazda, but the engine, suspension and drivetrain components along with virtually all sheet metal, interiors and accessories are unique to each maker.

much more awesomer
    Exactly. "Shared platform" != "Pretty much the same car"

Otherwise you could say a 2008 Chrysler 300 is "pretty much the same car as a 1997 Mercedes Benz E-class," which is not the case. The current Ford Fiesta consistently ranks at the top of the small/mini car field, while the Mazda 2 is consistently in the middle of reviewers' lists, very average. How can it be if they are "pretty much the same"?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I was saying that the Fiesta is NOT the same car as the Mazda. As for the 300, it shared the tub with the old MB, but had steel suspension components instead of the aluminum ones of the old E Class. Chrysler did the same thing with the Crossfire roadster. it was basically a rebadged and rebodied first generation SLK. The new Dodge Dart is an enlarged Alfa-Romeo Giullieta with a Chrysler engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Exactly. "Shared platform" != "Pretty much the same car"

Otherwise you could say a 2008 Chrysler 300 is "pretty much the same car as a 1997 Mercedes Benz E-class," which is not the case. The current Ford Fiesta consistently ranks at the top of the small/mini car field, while the Mazda 2 is consistently in the middle of reviewers' lists, very average. How can it be if they are "pretty much the same"?

This thread is about knives, fellas, not cars.

I use a car analogy as a metaphor, and not to hijack the thread, so let's get back on topic.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    I was saying that the Fiesta is NOT the same car as the Mazda.
    So we were agreeing? LOL

Marko, no problem.

I don't know of any other good factory-produced American knives... I've tried Chicagos and IMHO they are about the same Henckels Internationals.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Okay....back on topic. Most US made factory knives suck. The Germans, to some degree, seem to have perceived a need to compete with the bigger Japanese firms like Global and Shun. That makes sense as those two lines have clearly been eating into the German's market share in the "high" end of production cutlery for a number of years. In contrast, Cutco, which appears to be our biggest manufacturer of kitchen cutlery, is not so much a high quality cutlery company, but a multilevel marketing setup........or pyramid scheme, if you will, that uses cutlery of marginal quality and inflated price as its vehicle. The major difference between it and other long establish MLM schemes is that at least with brands like Tupperware, Avon, Electrolux and Mary Kay, you arguably got a fairly decent product for your money. Unfortunately, in the US, more knives from Global and Shun have probably been sold by Macys, Dillards, WS or SLT to yuppies who sit them on their granite countertop next to their Viking range and rarely use them and never have them sharpened than to people who buy them because they are better than the $10 POS that they got as part of a set for a housewarming gift. The are still, for the most part, vanity purchases I suspect.

If you don't mind us friendly folks to the North, Canada's had Grohmann making half-decent knives for quite a while.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/forged.html

Not good by the standards around here, but they don't entirely suck.

Grohmann outdoors knives have a pretty good reputation of being a nice little knife for the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    If you don't mind us friendly folks to the North, Canada's had Grohmann making half-decent knives for quite a while.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/forged.html

Not good by the standards around here, but they don't entirely suck.

Not to get off topic. But we are shining in the straight razor's market. If needed in a pinch im sure you can slice some tomatoes and sashimi with it. Not a mass produced item but shows what we can do.

http://www.hartsteel.com/index.html

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I was doing some more thinking on this subject and I did a Mexico and I got http://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/index.html . Not sure if they are made there or us.

+ Reply to Thread