Quantcast
MADE IN THE U.S.A - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MADE IN THE U.S.A

Of course.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Pretty pathetic for a master craftsman if you ask me.
    Pretty misleading website...

Yeah, i was wondering how you sell an integral san mai knife for that kind of money. Thought it might have been another hobbyist driving the prices down.

From perusing his website, he's pretty much taking credit for all aspects of manfacture.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The gallery pics look like he's profiling blade blanks on a mill, there isn't really any disclosure of what is and isn't done though, would be interesting to know. I think the lack of pictures covering the blades indicates the answer though
    http://www.customsweetness.com/knifemaking_gallery/

Looks to me like it's both. He doesn't want to say that he buys in the blanks for the "not-made-to-order" ones, but if you put in a request for a custom knife from CPM 154(which he calls CPM 154cm), it's $200 more than the 440c chef with the same handle. It also says in his bio that he knows how to forge and heat treat. Though why there aren't pics of his forged works, I do not know.

FWIW, they don't look like forged integrals in any of the pics to me.

[QUOTE=Dave Martell;90684]I'm going on record with NewWest and say it's junk. I hate to get that stuff in for sharpeningQUOTE]

Dave, can you elaborate on why you hate to sharpen them? Are you talking about New West's S35VN line or their earlier materials?

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    From perusing his website, he's pretty much taking credit for all aspects of manfacture.
    So infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I'm going on record with NewWest and say it's junk. I hate to get that stuff in for sharpening
    Quote Originally Posted by Gershwin View Post
    Dave, can you elaborate on why you hate to sharpen them? Are you talking about New West's S35VN line or their earlier materials?

I don't know what materials they used/or use so I can't comment on the steel type, sorry.

I can say that what I've seen from them was too soft and not worthy of my efforts. I just can't see putting an even decent edge on a knife that can't hold it for any length of time.