MADE IN THE U.S.A

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crothcipt

Reaction score
We talk about German and Japanese knives all the time. I was wondering what knives are mass produced in the u.s.. So I did a search and ended up with ...

http://www.sabaknife.com/volcano-knife-price.html

http://newwestknifeworks.com/Catalog/Kitchen-Knives--Fusionwood-Line/

I have a New West knife and am gonna do a write up on it soon. I was wondering if there are any others out there that I am missing. I know there is Cutco but I can't find a knife over 50$ from them. Please post any others.

newest looks ok, but sabaknife design just isn't for me at all. maybe they work but they definitely are not appealing.

threres gotta be more in the US??

Ya and for over 200$ I have no idea what they are thinking. I can't even think how I would use that at work. Like the handles on both. I did find another one but I keep drawing a blank on it.

I'm going on record with NewWest and say it's junk. I hate to get that stuff in for sharpening, Cutco is better.

The Sabathing is.......well........interesting

Thank you slowtyper, that was who I was forgetting.

We talk about German and Japanese knives all the time. I was wondering what knives are mass produced in the u.s.. So I did a search and ended up with ...

http://www.sabaknife.com/volcano-knife-price.html

http://newwestknifeworks.com/Catalog/Kitchen-Knives--Fusionwood-Line/

I have a New West knife and am gonna do a write up on it soon. I was wondering if there are any others out there that I am missing. I know there is Cutco but I can't find a knife over 50$ from them. Please post any others.

The Sabas are just weird looking. I really don't like serrated knives with offset handles like that, so I can't see myself liking those.

NKW serrated bread knife...I've looked at that before, and still looking for a serrated Im going to like, as Im planning on gifting my Wustof serrated away, but the price point and the handles on the NKW's ...I just can't get over. The material used reminds me of cheap gas station pocket knives.

Well, I think American car makers started seeing some success when they started designing their cars akin German and Japanese makers. Ford Fusion comes to mind - the first American car that caught my attention in years.

Same with knives. I think Sabaknife tries to carve a market for itself making unusual knives, while Shun is dominating the market making thin, light and easy to cut with (but not to sharpen) knives with pretty conventional profiles.

Well, I think American car makers started seeing some success when they started designing their cars akin German and Japanese makers. Ford Fusion comes to mind - the first American car that caught my attention in years.

Ford Fusion is pretty much the same car as the Mazda6. The Edge, the same as the CX7. Ford Escape - Mazda Tribute. Ford Fiesta - Mazda2. I think the Focus and the Mazda3 are a little different, but they may be the same. Ford/Mazda have a partnership where they use pretty much the same platform for their small cars. Maybe that's why they are the only American maker to not take a government bail out.

There is an i-Cut??? and they Trademarked it?

And $200 for a Saba knife... it is in the realm of the macbook air... give something an edge, that the mainstream would consider sharp, and make them adapt to its use to cut up things.

The Fusion may have been designed in Germany. Remember that until the new model hit, we were still being sold the OLD Focus for a number of years after a new model had been introduced in Europe. Ford is just now getting to the point where they are using the common platforms for their US cars.

Same with knives. I think Sabaknife tries to carve a market for itself making unusual knives, while Shun is dominating the market making thin, light and easy to cut with (but not to sharpen) knives with pretty conventional profiles.

The Fiesta is a German car. If the Mazda 2 is the same platform, then they didn't design it. the Fiesta and Focus are the second best selling car in Germany and much of Europe in those size classes after the VW Polo and Golf.
Ford Fusion is pretty much the same car as the Mazda6. The Edge, the same as the CX7. Ford Escape - Mazda Tribute. Ford Fiesta - Mazda2. I think the Focus and the Mazda3 are a little different, but they may be the same. Ford/Mazda have a partnership where they use pretty much the same platform for their small cars. Maybe that's why they are the only American maker to not take a government bail out.

This ended quite a while ago. Ford now owns less than 3% of Mazda. They still have a minor technology-sharing agreement, much like Daimler and Renault-Nissan currently have, but the new cars share almost no common parts. The current models from each maker (like the 3/Focus and 2/Fiesta) share aging platforms that were jointly developed when Ford still had a large stake in Mazda, but the engine, suspension and drivetrain components along with virtually all sheet metal, interiors and accessories are unique to each maker.

Whatever influence there is, Ford Fusion 2013 is one of the nicest cars to go in production Ford designed in years if not decades (but of course, taste is all subjective, and some will find Mercury Grand Marquis irresistible)

2013-ford-fusion-lead-opt.jpg

I think same applies to knives and other things. Well designed and well performing knives will be more appealing to buyers than knives with claim to some higher degree of design (Chroma, Sabaknives, Shun Onion, etc) that most of us don't understand and seem to find flaws everywhere we look.

A good design is time-proof and that what I find most appealing.

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth it.

M

PS: I do like Ford 2010-2011 Fusion as well.

The Mark VI Fiesta is based on a new Ford global platform introduced to the ROTW in 2008. The 2013 Fusion is a beefed up version of the new world car chassis shared with the ROTW Ford Mondeo and the Mazda CD3 sedans.
This ended quite a while ago. Ford now owns less than 3% of Mazda. They still have a minor technology-sharing agreement, much like Daimler and Renault-Nissan currently have, but the new cars share almost no common parts. The current models from each maker (like the 3/Focus and 2/Fiesta) share aging platforms that were jointly developed when Ford still had a large stake in Mazda, but the engine, suspension and drivetrain components along with virtually all sheet metal, interiors and accessories are unique to each maker.

Exactly. "Shared platform" != "Pretty much the same car"

Otherwise you could say a 2008 Chrysler 300 is "pretty much the same car as a 1997 Mercedes Benz E-class," which is not the case. The current Ford Fiesta consistently ranks at the top of the small/mini car field, while the Mazda 2 is consistently in the middle of reviewers' lists, very average. How can it be if they are "pretty much the same"?

I was saying that the Fiesta is NOT the same car as the Mazda. As for the 300, it shared the tub with the old MB, but had steel suspension components instead of the aluminum ones of the old E Class. Chrysler did the same thing with the Crossfire roadster. it was basically a rebadged and rebodied first generation SLK. The new Dodge Dart is an enlarged Alfa-Romeo Giullieta with a Chrysler engine.
Exactly. "Shared platform" != "Pretty much the same car"

Otherwise you could say a 2008 Chrysler 300 is "pretty much the same car as a 1997 Mercedes Benz E-class," which is not the case. The current Ford Fiesta consistently ranks at the top of the small/mini car field, while the Mazda 2 is consistently in the middle of reviewers' lists, very average. How can it be if they are "pretty much the same"?

This thread is about knives, fellas, not cars.

I use a car analogy as a metaphor, and not to hijack the thread, so let's get back on topic.

M

I was saying that the Fiesta is NOT the same car as the Mazda.

So we were agreeing? LOL :)

Marko, no problem.

I don't know of any other good factory-produced American knives... I've tried Chicagos and IMHO they are about the same Henckels Internationals.

Okay....back on topic. Most US made factory knives suck. :rofl2: The Germans, to some degree, seem to have perceived a need to compete with the bigger Japanese firms like Global and Shun. That makes sense as those two lines have clearly been eating into the German's market share in the "high" end of production cutlery for a number of years. In contrast, Cutco, which appears to be our biggest manufacturer of kitchen cutlery, is not so much a high quality cutlery company, but a multilevel marketing setup........or pyramid scheme, if you will, that uses cutlery of marginal quality and inflated price as its vehicle. The major difference between it and other long establish MLM schemes is that at least with brands like Tupperware, Avon, Electrolux and Mary Kay, you arguably got a fairly decent product for your money. Unfortunately, in the US, more knives from Global and Shun have probably been sold by Macys, Dillards, WS or SLT to yuppies who sit them on their granite countertop next to their Viking range and rarely use them and never have them sharpened than to people who buy them because they are better than the $10 POS that they got as part of a set for a housewarming gift. The are still, for the most part, vanity purchases I suspect.

Not to get off topic. But we are shining in the straight razor's market. If needed in a pinch im sure you can slice some tomatoes and sashimi with it. Not a mass produced item but shows what we can do.

http://www.hartsteel.com/index.html

Back